Music strikes a chord with everyone. One of the oldest forms of musical instruments is the flute. Belonging to the woodwind family, a flute produces its sound from the flow of air against an edge. If you have an inclination towards playing flute, the first thing that you need to do is to make one. Making a homemade flute is an easy process, once you know the right steps for the same. A handful of plumbing materials and a will to make it is all what you require when it comes to flute. In the following lines, we provide instructions on how to build a homemade flute.
- Drill and Bits
- 3/4" Wood Dowel
- 1/2" to 3/4" PVC Adapter
- 3/4" PVC Pipe
- Sand Paper
- The first step would be to cut a piece of 3/4" PVC plumbing pipe, so that it is of the length of your forearm (i.e. from your elbow to the tip of your longest finger). Use a saw for the purpose.
- Once you have cut the pipe, using a flat file and sandpaper, flatten it at one end, to about 4 centimeters.
- Now, drill a 1/4" hole right at the end of the pipe.
- After this, drill two more 1/8 “holes, next to it. Using a small file, make the rectangular hole, which should be about 3/16" X 5/16". Make sure you make the two holes through the flattened area.
- Now, hold the flute to measure where the five fingers hole must be made. Mark them with a pencil.
- Using the 1/4" drill bit, make the finger holes.
- Now, cut a piece of 3/4" wood dowel. This would be used as a plug for the place between the first two flute holes. Push the plug inside the pipe.
- If the plug is too tight, use the sand paper to push it inside.
- Now, all you need to do is push the PVC adapter in place over the blow end of your flute.
- Your homemade flute is ready to give out soothing notes of music!! You can also decorate it with colored tape, acrylic paints, beads, feathers, magic markers, etc.