There are various varieties of wines that are available in the world today. Right from grapes to apples, wine can be made from various ingredients. One of the popular as well as interesting types of wines is the honey wine, which is traditionally known as Mead. The best part of this wine is that you can further break it down into different varieties. Mixing honey with different types of fruits or adding herbs and spices to it will give mead an entirely different taste. Apart from that, even the type of honey used for making the wine can have a significant effect on its taste. If you want to know how to make honey wine (mead), check out the recipe given below and follow the instructions.
How To Make Honey Wine
Honey Wine Recipe
- 2 lbs Honey
- 1 pint Fragrant Rose Petals
- 1/4 tsp Citric Acid
- 1/4 tsp Grape Tannin
- 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
- Champagne Yeast
- 1 gallon Water
- Take a pan and put ½ gallon water in it, along with the honey. Place on flame and boil for 20 minutes, skimming scum off surface.
- Put all the other ingredients, except dry yeast, in a container and pour the boiling mixture in it.
- After the water cools down to lukewarm, add remaining water. Thereafter, sprinkle yeast on top.
- Cover the container with a cloth and let it ferment for 10 days.
- Next, strain out the flowers from the liquid and transfer it to another container.
- Fit the container with an airlock.
- Keep the container aside, let it ferment for 60 days and rack.
- Refit airlock and allow it to ferment for another 60 days.
- Rack the liquid into bottles and allow to age for one year.
- Honey wine is ready to drink.
Apple Honey Wine Recipe
- 4 gallons Apple Juice
- Large Rubber Bands
- Big Balloon
- 5-gallons Water Bottle
- Honey (as per taste)
- Yeast (brewers or baking)
- Tightly wrap rubber bands on the neck of the bottle and fill its bottom with honey.
- Now, pour one gallon of apple juice in it and wind the lid on the bottle. Shake it well, so that it mixes at its best.
- Next, add 3 other gallons of apple juice in it, along with water, till the neck curve point of the bottle.
- Put on the lid and whistle it all together. Add yeast to it and whistle it all again.
- Bring down the open end of the balloon, as far as you can on the bottle and tie it with a rubber band.
- Place it at a room temperature, of around 60 degree Celsius, where it shall be kept for around 6 weeks.
- The balloon will fill up as the fermentation takes place and then will go down slowly.
- Your apple honey wine is ready to drink.