With its luscious milky flavor, cottage cheese or ‘paneer’ forms an important part of the food menu in many homes. Packed with nutrition, it is excellent for people who prefer eating a healthy vegetarian diet. Owing to its soft and creamy texture, it readily soaks herbs and spices used in preparing curries. Besides, its rich taste makes it suitable for cooking lip-smacking desserts. You can easily find cottage cheese stacking shelves of supermarkets and local bazaars, but many a times it contains harmful additives. Therefore, the perfect alternative is to learn how to make cottage cheese at home. Go through the following lines to get the recipe of making homemade cottage cheese.
Homemade Cottage Cheese Recipe
- 1 liter milk (either full cream or toned)
- ½ tsp lemon juice or citric acid
- ½ cup water
- A clean muslin cloth
- Take a large pan and put milk in it. Place it on medium flame and bring to a boil.
- Take a cup of warm water and dissolve the citric acid or lemon juice in it.
- Pour this mixture onto the boiling milk and keep stirring.
- Lower the flame and continue stirring till the milk gets thickened.
- Once the curd chunks start floating in the yellowish whey/milk plasma and gets completely separated, remove the bowl from the heat.
- Next, strain or filter the mixture through a clean muslin cloth.
- Tie the cloth with the curdled pieces inside it so that it forms a pouch.
- Place this tied pouch under tap water for two minutes.
- Now, remove the excess water and hang the cloth for about 20 minutes, so that the whey is completely drained out.
- Take a heavy object and place it on top of the pouch, to form a slab.
- Finally, take out the slab and cut small cubes out of it or simply scrape it into thick pieces.
- Refrigerate or grab your recipe book, as desired.