Insomnia is a sleeping disorder, which is characterized by irregularity in sleeping pattern of a person. People suffering from insomnia have difficulty in getting quality sleep and at times, they do not sleep in the night at all. There can be various reasons for its occurrence, such as fear, overworking, anxiety, suppression of anger, volatility, bitterness and resentment. However, the medical condition can be treated with the help of homemade remedy. There are many herbs, fruits and vegetables which can help in having a quality sleep. Given below are some home remedies for treating insomnia.
Natural Remedies for Insomnia
- Thiamine is a significant substance for maintaining strong and healthy nervous system, which assists in inducing sleep. Whole grain cereals and nuts are vital sources of thiamine.
- Lettuce is also helpful in insomnia, as it contains a substance called “lectucarium” that stimulates good sleep. Its juice also has a calming effect. Boil 1 tbsp lettuce seeds in ½ liter water. Wait until it reduced into 1/3 level and drink.
- Drinking a glass of milk, mixed with honey, before going to bed every night can also prove helpful, as milk is an effective tonic and tranquilizer. Moreover, massaging foot soles with milk helps in reducing sleeping disorders.
- For a good quality sleep, you can also massage your head with curd.
- Mix equal parts of bottle gourd juice and sesame oil. Massage the scalp with this mixture every night. Also, eating cooked bottle gourd leaves is an effective remedy for insomniac patients.
- Boil a teaspoon of aniseed in 375 ml water. Cover the container with a lid, allowing it to simmer for 15 min. Strain and drink while it is still warm. You can add honey or milk for taste. Take it after each meal or before bedtime.
- Honey also works well for insomniac patients. Take 2 tsp honey with a glass of water, before going to sleep.
- Rauwolfia is a sedative that has an efficient drowsiness effect for insomniac patients. Mix 0.25 - 0.50 gm of powdered rauwolfia root with cardamom to get a good night’s sleep. For chronic insomnia, take 0.25 gm of the powder in the morning as well as in the evening.