Stress, anxiety, tension and poor eating and sleeping habits are some of the root causes of insomnia, a sleeping disorder prevalent in people of all age groups. Apart from affecting your health, it can even impair your memory and lead to frequent mood swings. Although you can take medications, opting for the natural ways to treat the problem is recommended. The natural cures for insomnia are not only effective, but also have few or no side effects related to them. Go through the tips given in the following lines and learn how to get rid of insomnia naturally.
Get Rid of Insomnia Naturally
- Aromatherapy is one of the most effective treatments for curing insomnia, naturally. The essential oil, candles and scents used in aromatherapy soothe your body and senses. The scents used for this treatment are usually made up of natural herbs like Chamomile and Passion flower, which have a sleep-inducing effect.
- Before going to bed, take a warm bath, infused with herbal oils. Apart from cleansing your body, the herbal oils will help relax your mind as well. You will get better sleep, if you indulge in this process regularly.
- Another effective natural cure for insomnia is 'sound therapy'. During this therapy, sleep tracks are played on audio tapes or CD. The soothing music, with subtle rhythms and pulses, relax the body as well as the mind greatly, providing you a sound sleep within minutes.
- Valerian root provides a natural cure for insomnia. It has been in use since the ancient times. You can get the roots from herbal remedy stores. Apart from being effective, it has a very few side effects. Consult your doctor to know how to consume the herb.
- Your bedroom should be a safe haven, a relaxing place for you. Never ever keep distracting things, like TV or computer, in your bedroom. Converting it into a peaceful and tranquil place will help you fall asleep faster and have a sound sleep as well.
- While in the bed, your body should not be positioned in an uncomfortable alignment. Ensure that the bedding as well as the pillow is well cushioned. The mattress should be replaced, if you find it difficult to lie on it and fall asleep.
- Never forget to turn off the lights before sleeping. This is because the body produces melatonin, a chemical that aids your sleep, in dark atmosphere only. Lighting will obstruct its production and make it difficult for you to fall asleep.
- To sleep peacefully, make sure that the temperature in your room is warm. A cozy atmosphere will put you to sleep, not keeping you awake for a long time. At the same time, ensure that the temperature of your room doesn't make you sweat!
- Do not eat a large meal late in the evening, because you will find it hard to digest it well and sleep peacefully. Your supper should be light as well as nutritious.
- Do not drink too many fluids before going to bed, because excess fluids lead to frequent urination during sleeping hours. Rather, avoid drinking fluids for several hours before you sleep.
- Stay away from caffeine at night, because it retards the body's ability to gain sleep. You will find yourself struggling to sleep, if you drink coffee before going to bed.
- Alcohol consumption is a strict no-no in the late evening/ at night. Do not consume liquor before you try to sleep. Instead of relaxing you, it will decrease your sleep and make you feel tired as well.