A fireplace increases the appeal of the house and also makes for an interesting room décor. It has its own benefits and looks fabulous when maintained properly. Now, if you have been noticing that the wood is not being burnt efficiently, or want to enhance the appeal of a fireplace, consider buying a fireplace insert. Fireplace inserts will transform your existing dull fireplace into a chic one and also burn wood efficiently. What’s more? It helps you save home heating bills, provides heat when the power goes out, is cleaner and easy-to-use and also keeps the winter air quality clean. Read on to know more information on how fireplace inserts increase the efficiency of an existing fireplace.
- The fireplace inserts are made of cast iron or steel and are equipped with self cleaning insulated glass doors. These glass doors are very sturdy and also allow full view of the fire.
- Older fireplaces usually have a low efficiency rate of around 5-10%. This happens because of the fact that the open combustion design attracts a considerable amount of the warm room air into the fireplace, thus making it burn all the more fast and waste energy.
- When you use a fireplace insert, the insulated closed door helps slow down the fire and makes the combustion more efficient and complete. The efficiency can increase significantly, upto 65% in many cases.
- While getting fireplace insert you need to keep in mind the kind of fuel that is in use. There are different types of fireplace inserts for natural gas, propane, EPA certified wood, pellet and coal.
- Take note of the size you want. They come in a variety of designs and sizes but should be in accordance to your fireplace. Mainly, the size of your fireplace opening should determine the size of the fireplace insert. The measurements to keep in mind are opening height, opening width, opening depth, rear width and depth of the hearth.
- They should be removed while cleaning the fireplace and the type of fuel that you use, determines the level of maintenance that is required. It is recommended that you get it installed from a professional installer and also get annual chimney check-up.