Many women during pregnancy complain of the problem of constipation. This is a common complaint and happens due to the fact that the hormones change drastically when you are pregnant. Due to the hormonal change, constipation occurs. This may happen during any of the trimesters or all of them. Another reason is that your body tends to retain water, due to which there is constipation. As and when the baby grows inside the uterus, the digestive system becomes non-cooperative and that too leads to constipation.
Usually, in the first trimester, you tend to have a low appetite due to which there is gas formation. That also results in constipation. It is also possible that due to intake of certain medicines prescribed during pregnancy, you may suffer from constipation. Iron and calcium supplements usually aggravate the problem. If so, you need to visit your doctor and get medicines that act as fiber supplements. However, there are some home remedies that are quite helpful in relieving you off the stress and discomfort of constipation.
Home Remedies for Constipation during Pregnancy
- Make sure you are always hydrated and keep drinking plenty of water, juices and fluids. Dehydration is one of the prime reasons of constipation as the body does not have enough water to soften the stool to help it pass through. Drink at least 2 glasses of warm water in the morning empty stomach and move around. You will feel much better as it helps in getting rid of all toxins of the body.
- Eat lot of fruits that have rich fiber content and are juicy in nature. Oranges, grapes, plums, bananas, etc. are a must. They help in movement of the body waste through the intestines and the bowels and eventually flush them out of the body.
- While preparing food, mix some ginger powder or try to include it as much as possible in your diet. Ginger aids in digestion and also helps get rid of indigestion, gas, acidity and constipation. Like wise, you can have ginger tea, ginger ale, etc. to provide relief from bloating and constipation.
- Eat dates on a regular basis. Dates are very helpful in relieving constipation, regulate blood level and provide strength and iron to the body.
- Drink soups and juices made from vegetables and fruits in order to provide energy, nutrients and essential water, to the body. Take the soups at a decently warm temperature while the juices can be prepared at room temperature. Don’t make it too chilling. They will help to add more water to the body and also help to get rid off constipation.