Improper dietary habits, eating excessive non vegetarian, fried, fast foods, insufficient intake of water, indigestion of food products are the major causes of constipation. Prolonged constipation indicates that your body is not being able to discharge the waste that it creates, and this could lead to related problems as body waste contains toxins. In most cases, constipation sorts itself out in a few days, though in cases of chronic constipation, it is important to take some steps to cure the problem. The best way to treat constipation is to follow some dietary and lifestyle changes. In case you want to know how to relive constipation, follow the article for some helpful tips.
Tips To Relieve Constipation
- Increasing your fiber intake will greatly help in relieving constipation. Make sure that your diet is high on fiber, containing a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. High intake of greasy foods, such as breads, potatoes, and meat can enhance the problem the constipation. You can switch over to a complete vegetarian diet for a week to see if the problem clears up. In case the problem still persists, increase the intensity of fiber in your diet.
- Include cabbage in your diet as much as you can. It is highly fibrous and it also contains enzymes that help the entire digestive tract to flush out the waste from the body. It also works as a good liver cleanser against a build up of liver toxins. You can also switch over to a complete cabbage diet for 2-3 days, if you constipation problem in severe.
- Insufficient water intake can also cause constipation. Therefore, it is important to hydrate your body well. On an average, drink a minimum of 1.5 - 2 liters of water per day.Water intake can vary depending on factors, such as your size, hot weather, or exercise. Start your morning with a big glass of water and continue to drink it throughout the day at regular intervals.
- Regular exercise can also prove to be effective in relieving constipation, more so, when coupled with some dietary alterations. It is a good way to restore rhythm. Don’t give up on exercise if you are feeling constipated. It can only worsen the problem. On the contrary, exercising may facilitate your bowel movement.
Home Remedies For Constipation
- Drink some warm milk before you hit the bed. In case, yours is a case of chronic constipation, add two spoons of castor oil in warm milk.
- As soon as you get up in the morning, drink 2-3 glasses of warm water. It facilitates bowel movements and lead to normal stools.
- Take a lemon or two, squeeze their juice in warm water and sip it slowly. Do not add sugar or salt. Drink it in the morning to facilitate bowel movement.
- Use asafoetida, cumin powder, turmeric powder and coriander while cooking as they make the food easily digestible.