Were you of the opinion that rice cooker is solely used for cooking rice? if yes, then it's time for a revelation. A rice cooker can do lot more than just dish out that perfect white rice. In fact, nothing can match up to the ease, speed and comfort of cooking in rice cooker. Not only is it the best bet for working moms or even busy home makers who are forever on their toes, it is a versatile option for anyone willing to pep up their culinary skills. Since rice cooker does not allow steam to escape as much as normal pressure cooker, cooking in rice cooker requires very little water and is indeed a healthier option. Simply rinse and drain the rice, add water, and press the cook button for steaming hot rice. What’s more, the rice cooker keeps the rice warm even after cooking. However, the use of rice cooker is not just restricted to cooking rice alone. You can easily cook up interesting rice cuisines at one go, and wow your family and guests. Here are some easy but interesting rice cooker recipes for you to try at home. Just read on and surprise your family in the next family get together.
Easy Rice Cooker Recipes
Rice Cooker Paella
- 2 Chicken Breasts (cubed)
- 2 cups Short-Grain Rice
- 2 Sausages (cut into pieces)
- 6-7 Uncooked Shrimp (peeled)
- 1 ¼ cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 medium Tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 1 tsp Spanish Paprika
- Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Olives
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- A few threads of Saffron
- 6-7 Scrubbed Mussels(optional)
- Turn the rice cooker on and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and allow it to heat. Add onions to it and sauté for a minute.
- Add the chicken and sausage and stir fry till light brown.
- Add the rice to the chicken pieces and cook for two minutes.
- Now, add the tomatoes, olives, peas, white wine, chicken stock, paprika, oregano, pepper and saffron and stir well to mix all the ingredients.
- Put on the lid of the rice cooker and allow it to cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally till the rice is completely done.
- Add the shrimp and mussels (optional) and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until done.
- Check for seasoning, before switching off the rice cooker.
- Serve hot.
Rice Cooker Chicken Congee
- ½ cup Rice
- 1 tsp Chopped Ginger Root
- 1 cup Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 1 ½ tsp Chopped Green Onions
- 4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Turn the rice cooker on and put the rice, water, ginger and chicken into it and allow it to cook, stirring occasionally. Cook it for about 1 ½ hours, adjusting the timing on pressure cooker accordingly.
- After cooking for 1 ½ hours, the congee should be thick.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve hot garnished with chopped green onions.