Casserole is basically a French dish, which is cooked as well as served in a large, deep pot or dish (with the same name). The recipe finds its origin in the ancient practice of stewing meat slowly, in earthenware containers. A casserole is cooked in an oven and comprises of one or two meats or vegetables as the main ingredients. Amongst all the types of casseroles that are made, broccoli rice casserole is one of the best and most nutritious one. It is creamy side dish, baked in a delicious cheese sauce. On top of that, it is very easy to make. In the following lines, we have provided two very easy recipes, which will help you know how to make broccoli and rice casserole.
Broccoli And Rice Casserole Recipes
- 20 ounce (568 gm) Frozen Broccoli, chopped
- 3 cups (285 gm) Instant Rice
- 10.75 ounce (305 gm) can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 10.75 ounce (305 gm) can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 1/4 cups (295 ml) Water
- 16 ounce (448 gm) Processed American Cheese, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 gm) Butter
- 1 bunch Celery, chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook broccoli and rice, as per the directions provided on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and place it over low heat.
- Put cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and 1¼ cups water in the saucepan.
- Keep stirring the mixture, until the cheese gets melted. Make sure it does not get burnt.
- Take a large skillet and place it over medium-high heat.
- Put butter in a skillet and let it melt.
- Add celery and onion to the skillet and sauté, until they become soft.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Combine broccoli, rice, soup and cheese mixture, celery and onion in it.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Get a 9x13 inch baking dish and pour the mixture in it.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly and lightly brown.
- Broccoli rice casserole can be refrigerated for 6 to 7 days.
- 2 cups Minute Rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp Butter
- ½ cup Onion, diced
- ½ cup Green Peppers, chopped
- ½ cup Celery, chopped
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 2 pkgs. Frozen Broccoli (10 oz. each), cooked and drained
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Celery Soup
- Take a heavy skillet and put butter in it, to melt.
- After the butter melts, combine onion, peppers and celery in the skillet and sauté until tender. Remove from heat.
- Mix rice, sautéed vegetables, broccoli, 1-cup cheddar cheese and soups in a bowl and mix well.
- Transfer this mixture to a greased casserole dish.
- Cover the dish and bake at 350 °F, for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove the dish and top with remaining 1-cup cheddar cheese.
- Put the dish back for baking, for another 5 minutes, until the top gets lightly browned and the cheese is melted.