Lemon verbena or lemon bee-brush, also popularly known as Vervain, is an extremely aromatic plant with an overpowering citrus tang, found in abundance in Northern California, Argentina and Chile. This plant was introduced by early European explorers and since then, it has become an inseparable ingredient of the famous English tea. The best thing about this aromatic shrub is that though it is rich in citric flavor, it comes without the bitterness of lemon and can be fused with other herbs to make excellent tea and other beverages. In addition to being an aromatic add-on to your garden, lemon verbena also has culinary, cosmetic and aroma therapeutic uses. Lemon Verbena helps to fight fever, cramps and is extremely effective against asthma, fever, colds, upset stomach and other digestive maladies. Lemon Verbena tea has been a huge rage and is widely sipped for its soothing benefits. The tea is a great bet for anyone down with stomach woes. What's more, it is known to ease stress, induce sleep and is a great flavoring options for anyone willing to experiment with their desserts and drinks. Here are some wonderful lemon verbena tea recipes for you to explore. Read on for an aromatic sip of tasty lemon verbena.
How To Make Lemon Verbena Tea
Simple Lemon Verbena Tea Recipe
- 1 cup fresh Lemon Verbena leaves
- 1 quart Water
- Take a pan and boil the water.
- Remove from heat and toss in Lemon Verbena leaves.
- Cover it with a lid and allow it to steep for about 5 minutes.
- Cool for some time, and then strain the tea and serve.
Lemon Verbena Mint Herb Tea Recipe
- 1/2 cup fresh Mint Leaves (rinsed and lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup fresh Lemon Verbena Leaves (rinsed and lightly packed)
- 2 cups Water
- In a pan, take 2 cups of water and heat it, taking care not to bring it to a boil.
- Put the mint and verbena leaves in the teapot.
- Now, pour out the hot water over the leaves.
- Allow it to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain into tea cups and serve.
Lemon Verbena Iced Tea
- 1 cup Lemon Verbena Leaves
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 4 cups Ice
- 6 cups Tea (brewed & chilled)
- Mint Leaves (optional)
- Lemon Wedges (optional)
- Mix water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Keep it on heat till the sugar is dissolved completely. Allow the sugar syrup to cool down.
- In another pan, boil some water and cook lemon verbena leaves in it. Remove and drain and plunk it in ice cold water before straining again.
- In a blender, blend sugar syrup and verbena leaves till smooth. Cover and refrigerate for a night.
- Strain the sugar syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Now, take six tall glasses and put ice into each of the glasses.
- Add 1 cup brewed tea and 2 tablespoons sugar syrup to each glass and stir well.
- Garnish with mint leaves and lemon wedges.
- Serve chilled.
Lavender Verbena Tea
- 1 cup Lemon Verbena Leaves
- 3 tbsp Lavender Flowers
- A dash of Honey
- Combine the herbs and store in an air tight container.
- For a cup of tea, add 1 tsp of the mixture in a cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 5 minutes and strain out the leaves.
- Serve with a dash of honey.