Hand washing is an important hygienic habit to stay hale and hearty. It not only helps in preventing germs and bacteria, but also helps in maintaining a good healthy life free from diseases. Believe it or not, we all come in contact with multitude of germs and bacteria in our day to day living. These micro organisms are present all around us, on the door knobs, water taps, light switches, railings and yes, even on your mouse! While it is impossible to live without touching these objects, it is imperative to be cautious to stay disinfected. Touching the eyes, nose, ears or any other body part and eating food with the infected hand are common ways by which we unknowingly inject the germs and bacteria in our body, thereby making ourselves vulnerable to diseases. Therefore, it is very important to indulge in the habit of washing our hands frequently. The knowledge and importance of washing hands would help you in staying free from germs and bacteria. Go through the following lines and explore the importance of hand washing. Also, know when you should wash hands.
Why Is Hand Washing Important
The most important reason of hand washing is to prevent getting infected with dangerous aliments. People who don’t wash their hands regularly are at the higher risk of getting infected with diseases like cold or flu. Eating without washing the hands often causes gastrointestinal troubles and diarrhea, which can spread within the family. In some cases, improper or no hand washing can cause pneumonia in elderly people and those who are facing chronic diseases. As such, washing hands is prototypical for staying in the pink of health. Remember, prevention is always better than cure. Hence, always clean your hands and stay germ free. By indulging in this easy activity, you would not only stay fit but also avoid unnecessary medical bills, as there would be fewer chances of you getting sick.
It is important know when to wash your hands as this will help you to stay disinfected from various germs and bacteria. Hands should be washed after the following tasks:
- Hands need to be washed after using the toilets at home or at any public places.
- After visiting a patient at hospital, it is very important to wash your hands.
- Hands must be washed before and after eating meals to stay disinfected from germs and bacteria.
- Hands should be properly washed before cooking meals and cutting or handling food like meat, fist and poultry.
- Hands need to be washed properly after changing a baby’s diaper.
- Wash your hand after touching or cleaning your pets.
- Wash your hands before touching infant kids.
- Hands need to wash before and after touching the injured areas or after changing the dressings of a person.
- After handling garbage and dirty things, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly.
- Hands should be washed after sneezing, coughing and blowing nose. This reduces the chances of spreading the contagious diseases.
- People who work in hospitals must regularly wash their hands in order to prevent serious diseases.
- Children love to play in mud and sand which houses many germs and bacteria. Teach your children the importance of washing hands to stay healthy and hygienically.