Hand-eye coordination can be described as the ability of an individual to control his eye movement and process the visual inputs in the correct way, in order to guide the movement of the hands. We make use of hand-eye coordination in almost each and every aspect of our daily routine. Apart from that, there are certain specific situations, like playing tennis, juggling balls, solving board puzzles, etc, which require greater degree of coordination. It is not too difficult for a person to improve his hand-eye coordination, providing he is willing to work towards the same. In the following lines, we have listed a number of ways through which you can improve your hand-eye coordination.
How to Improve Hand Eye Coordination
- Take part in different types of sports, mainly those that require hand-eye coordination. Ping pong, tennis, billiards, golf, baseball, squash, etc are some of the games that will do a great deal of benefit.
- Start playing catch with your friends, be it with a football, baseball or tennis ball. It requires considerable degree of hand-eye coordination, leading to an over-all improvement.
- Write letters or numbers on a big ball, like basketball, football, etc. Play catch with it and as you catch the ball, try to call out the last letter or number that you saw on it.
- Eat food items that are rich in zinc. This is because researches have shown that around 20 mg of zinc in a day can improve hand-eye coordination. Oysters, pumpkin seeds, whole grains, sunflower seeds, animal proteins, beans, nuts and almonds are rich in zinc, while legumes, whole grain breads and cereals block its absorption.
- Start playing video games. They require great hand-eye coordination. However, make sure that you do not become addicted to them or spend too much time in playing.
- Playing with yo-yos and doing board puzzles is another effective way of improving hand-eye coordination.
- Try to learn juggling. Not only will it improve your hand-eye coordination, but also impress those around you.