The summer not only dries you up like a wringed cloth but it also does the worst thing possible during that time and that is to kill your appetite. The blazing sun makes eating a headache, as it seems like whatever you ingest results in more heat. It also makes you lethargic after a meal, which destroys all the joy of a hearty meal. During summer, the foods that provide you relief from the heat should be the mainstay. The best is to have well-crafted appetizers specifically created to kick-start your appetite, which tends to go dormant during the summer months. Summer appetizers are like a breath of fresh air as they can make the dullest of all meals refreshing. These appetizers are light and delicious and will prepare you for the entire treat that is yet to come. In addition, these appetizers are very easy to prepare so it will save you the task of sweating out in the kitchen. So, to prepare some delectable summer appetizers, read the article given below on a number of such recipes.
Recipes For Summer Appetizers
Italian Bocconcini & Basil Antipasto Skewers Recipe
- 12 wooden skewers
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 ounce salami (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 12 bocconcini (Italian mini mozzarella balls)
- 12 slices of deli pepperoni (folded into a triangle)
- 12 oil-cured black olives
- 12 marinated mushrooms
- 12 Italian pickled peppers
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- In each of the skewers fix all the ingredients and place them in a resealable bag.
- Pour the marinade into the bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Shake the bag occasionally so that the marinade is well distributed.
- Drain the marinade and serve the skewers on a tray.
- Garnish with plenty of arugula leaves.
Serve – 4 to 6
Smoked Salmon And Green Apple Carpaccio
- 6 ounce smoked salmon
- 1 small Granny Smith apple
- 1 tablespoon capers (drained)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut the salmon into thin slices.
- Core the apple and then slice the apple into thin slices.
- Take a platter and arrange slices of salmon and apple alternately.
- Over these, sprinkle the capers.
- Drizzle the olive oil and then sprinkle salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Refrigerate the platter to chill and then serve.
Serve – 4
Macaroni And Four Cheeses
- Cooking spray
- 16 ounce box elbow macaroni
- 10 ounce frozen puréed winter squash
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1-1⁄3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2⁄3 cup Monterey Jack cheese (grated)
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cook the macaroni and then transfer to a baking dish.
- In a saucepan, take the frozen squash and milk. Cook in low flame with occasional stirring to break and defrost the squash.
- Increase the flame and cook till it starts simmering.
- Remove from the heat and then add the cheddar, jack cheese, ricotta, salt, mustard, and cayenne and stir.
- Pour this over the macaroni and mix.
- In another bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and oil.
- Sprinkle this on top of the macaroni.
- Bake in an oven preheated at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes until the cheese bubbles around the edges.
- Then broil for 3 minutes so that the top is crisp.