Come summers and we see kids roaming around the house in the daytime, with a bored expression on their face. The reason - their schools have closed down for summer holidays and because of immense heat, they cannot play out in the day. In this case, you have two options - get your children engaged in TV/ video games or keep them indulged in some crafts. In case you prefer the second option, we have the perfect craft activity to keep your kids busy - polishing rocks. It is not only safe, but quite enjoyable as well. If you want to know more on how to polish rocks, make use of the instructions provided in the lines below.
Rock Polishing Tips
- Plastic Jar, with lid
- 1/3 cup Sand
- Duct Tape
- First of all, you need to take an empty plastic jar, with lid, and give it a thorough cleaning.
- Fill the empty jar with sand and slowly add water to it, until the amount of water is a little more than sand.
- Now is the time to add rocks to the sand/water-filled jar. However, make sure that the rocks are not too many in number and have enough space to move around in the jar.
- Put the lid on the jar and screw it tightly. Thereafter, use duct tape to secure the lid more firmly into place. Make sure that the water doesn't seep out through the lid, when the jar is upturned.
- Start shaking the jar. You can also involve your parents, siblings, relatives and friends in the process.
- The rocks will get smoothed out and polished within a few weeks, if you continue shaking them on a regular and frequent basis.
- If you want to put in less effort and time in polishing the rocks, make use of a rock tumbler. Such tumblers are easily available at hobby shops, but can be a bit expensive.