One of the most frequently sought questions is that can fiberglass be painted? The answer is a definite yes and the advantages of doing so are clearly high, only if the task is done with proper care. Fiberglass is a strong, light weight material made from fine fibers of glass. Coloring it often requires a great deal of meticulousness and awareness. Before starting off with the process, it is extremely important for you to choose a paint that works well on the smooth surface of fiberglass. Though gel coat may be the best bet for coloring fiberglass, since it is made of fiberglass resin, paint even works better as it protects the fiberglass against sun exposure and long-term corrosion. All you need to do is just sand the surface and coat it with a primer and color for best effect. If you are clueless on how to color fiberglass, here is a step-by-step guide for you. Read on to get started.
Tips For Painting Fiberglass
- Before you get on with the job of painting your fiberglass, prepping it up with sand paper for a shiny luster may help. Try using an orbital sander for maximum results. Begin slowly and then improve your speed, as you get used to it. Sand until you are satisfied with the feel of the surface. Remember, the more sanding you do, the better the results will be.
- Once you have sanded the surface well, take care to dust off the laminate properly. You can use a mild soapy solution, or mineral spirits to clean the surface. Using a rag, wipe the surface and then rinse off with clear water.
- The next step is to choose the right paint for coloring your fiberglass. In case of new fiberglass, do not forget to pick up a bottom coat for extra protection. While darker surfaces are best treated when painted with dark colors, you may choose to use a light color for a light colored surface. Remember, paint offers extra protection to fiberglass. So, choosing it with lot of consideration may help. You can use acrylic colors for best results.
- Prime the fiberglass before you start with the paint. Pour the fiberglass primer to the spray gun and apply an even coat, covering the entire surface and spray. Allow the first coat to dry and then spray a second coat primer onto the fiberglass and wait till it completely dries off.
- Fiberglass is normally painted using gel coat that contains fiberglass resin pigmented with color. Gel coat is a very strong and durable paint that acts as a protective layer over the fiberglass as well as paint. Mix the fiberglass gel coat with the hardener, following the procedure mentioned on the containers. Use a small bucket and a stir stick to thoroughly mix the gel coat. Add the gel coat to the gel coat gun following the directions in the manual.
- Put on the gel coat as evenly as possible for the best results. Once the first coat gets dry, follow it up with a second coat of gel coat. Spray the second coat onto the surface in such a way that it is solidly covered. Continue to spray in a uniform way, with the tip about a foot away from the surface to avoid any runs in the gel coat. Let the gel coat cure until it is hard and cool to touch.