Do you remember the most famous fence painter of all times, Tom Sawyer? Ironical though, acknowledged as a fence painter, Tom did not paint the fence himself, but used his friends to do it. However, what he, in fact, managed to do was to make others feel fence painting a worthwhile task. Result - he sat on the shade of the tree, while others worked on the fence. But not everybody is as lucky as him. When the fence at the front yard starts to become an eyesore and the ridicule of the entire neighborhood, then, sooner or later, you’ve got take the paint and the brush in hand. A freshly painted fence complements the house and is very necessary for maintaining the aesthetic beauty. After about every three to five years, you need to give the fence a new coat of paint to sustain its beauty and appeal. In case you have been ignoring your boundary marker for long now, know that painting a fence isn’t that tough a job. With time, patience and a little bit of know-how, painting a fence can turn out to be an extremely constructive activity. To help you paint a fence, given below are further instructions on how you can do so.
Painting A Fence
- 4 inch Paint Brush (separate each for paint and primer)
- 1 inch Paint Brush (separate each for paint and primer)
- Painting Rollers
- Whisk Broom
- Rubber Gloves
- Warm Water
- Oil-based Primer
- Mineral Spirits
- Pressure Washer
- Plastic Sheet
- Either of the following paints can be used.
- Acrylic stains last for about five years when applied in well prepared fences. If you are using acrylic stains, then you need not use the primer. The best feature about this paint type is that it is also mildew resistant.
- Acrylic varnish lasts longer than acrylic stains. But, before applying the varnish, you should apply a coat of primer.
- Oil-based products do not last long, but they give a more pleasing finish. It also takes longer to apply oil-based products.
- First prepare the fence for the painting. Remove all the old paint and dirt thoroughly from the fence by sanding it with sandpaper. Ensure that the surface that you are about to paint is smooth. Then, using a pressure washer, remove all the dust. Take care not to wet the fence too much. Leave the fence to dry thoroughly.
- Place a large sheet of plastic under the fence to prevent the paint drippings from on spreading stains. Also, put on the rubber gloves as it would prevent your hand from getting stained.
- Once the fence has dried properly, apply a coat of primer on to the entire fence. Let the primer dry on the fence and then apply a second coat. Let it to dry also. The primer will prevent the rust and mold and help the paint hold on to the fence.
- In case you have a metal iron fence, first you should coat the entire fence with mineral spirits. Use a clean cloth for the purpose. After applying the mineral spirits, you should coat the fence with the primer.
- While painting the fence, you should work on one section at a time. First paint the top and then work downwards, painting each individual fence boards. Use the broader brush for the purpose.
- Paint one side first and then move on to the next side. Use the small brush to paint the gap between the fence boards and the edges.
- After applying the first coat, allow the fence to dry. Once dried, apply a second coat of paint. When the second coat dries, apply a third coat.