Jackets are one the most essential pieces of clothing in winters, especially if you drive a two wheeler. They provide a lot of warmth and save you from the chilling wind. Though there are a large variety of jackets available in the market, you can also make them at home. Pattern catalogs available at shops helps you make all types of jackets, right from the hooded windbreakers to suit and dress jackets, at the comforts of your home. They provide you with step-by-step guide on how to make your own jacket, right from the fabric cutting part to the sewing part. In case you need any help, read further and get tips for making your own jacket.
How to Make Your Own Jacket
- Jacket pattern
- Matching thread
- Ironing board
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- Zipper or separating zipper
- Lining fabric (optional)
- Buttons (optional)
- Interfacing (optional)
- First of all, you need to go to the market and get a jacket pattern, which is like the one you want for your jacket.
- Go through the package of the pattern and decide on the type and the length of fabric needed to make the jacket.
- Next, you will have to buy fabric for the lining of the jacket. Usually, lightweight fabrics like polyester, mesh, silk or satin are used. However, using a lining fabric is optional.
- Gather all the necessary things, like thread matching the color of the fabric, zipper, separating zipper, buttons, interfacing, etc.
- Using scissors, cut out pattern pieces for you jacket. If you wish to wear the jacket over a sweater or bulky winter clothing, the size should be enlarged a bit.
- With the help of a hot iron, smooth out the fabrics. Removing the wrinkles will make the pattern more precise.
- Following the instruction provided with the pattern, pin the patterns to the fabric. After this, cut out the pieces.
- In case the jacket pattern provides options like hood or collar choices, cut only those pieces that you want in your jacket.
- With the help of sewing machine, sew all the pieces together.
- Finally, attach the zipper. You can also add buttons or interfacing.
- Your jacket is ready!