One of the major requirements for a healthy and supple skin is the antioxidant lycopene. This compound helps a lot in maintaining the elastic properties of the human skin, thereby delaying the process of ageing. It is found in ample amounts in tomatoes and thus, the fruit is considered very beneficial for human health. Regular or periodic intake of tomato diminishes the chance of conditions like cancer and diabetes. Acting like a sunscreen, the fruit also helps to protect the skin from harmful rays of the sun. Besides this, tomato acts as singlet-oxygen quencher with 100% more efficiency than vitamin E. Thus, it is seen that its usage is very beneficial to the human skin. A number of effective exfoliators or scrubs can be prepared by using tomato as the basic ingredient. These scrubs are very easy to prepare and helps in gentle exfoliation of the skin. They are meant for regular usage and have no known side effects. What more, they can be used by people of all age groups and with all skin types. Given below are a few easy and simple recipes, on how to make tomato scrub at home.
Tomato Scrub Recipes
Basic Tomato Scrub
- 1 Ripe Tomato
- Granulated Sugar
- Cutting Board
- Cutting Knife
- Wash your face using a mild face-wash and remove any dirt or grime present on the surface of the skin.
- Take a large ripe tomato and wash it properly under running tap water.
- Get your cutting board ready and slice the top of the tomato with the cutting knife. The stem of the fruit can be used as a gripper and as a cleansing pad.
- In a platter, take a single spoon of granulated sugar and make a coating of sugar on the tomato, by dipping it in the same. Ensure that the coating is even and thorough.
- Use the tomato to make gentle rubbing movements all over the face. This will cause a mild exfoliation of the facial skin and remove the dead skin cells.
- Once the face is evenly coated with the tomato juice, wait for a period of about 10 minutes. After this, rinse off the tomato scrub with fresh cold water and pat your face dry, using a soft towel.
Tomato & Rice Scrub
- 4 Ripe Tomatoes
- A Grinder
- Soak some rice in water, for a period of about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Grind the soaked rice to a coarse paste, using the grinder.
- Wash the tomatoes properly under running tap water, to remove any grime or dirt on the surface. Cut them into fine pieces.
- Using a blender, make a paste of the chopped pieces, until a soft puree is achieved.
- In a mixing bowl, add together the rice and the tomato paste and gently massage it all over your face.
- Leave the paste on for a period of about 10 minutes or until it dries off moderately.
- Wash off using warm water.
Tomato & Wheat Husk Scrub
- 2 Ripe Tomatoes
- Wheat Husk
- Pure Honey
- In a small bowl, place the ripe tomatoes and mash them into a fine paste, using a fork.
- To the mashed pulp, add the wheat husk and the honey, alternately, until a thick paste is formed. While adding the ingredients, check out for consistency of the paste. The mixture should neither have a watery consistency, nor be too hard.
- Massage the paste all over the face and even around the neck. This paste should be allowed to remain in place for about 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off using cool water and pat dry with a soft towel. Complete this skin care regime with your favorite moisturizer.