For small children, swimming pool is a death trap. Accidental drowning in swimming pools is the leading cause of death for children under age of five and the second-leading cause of death for children under fourteen. When summer is round the corner, the swimming pool safety should be on the minds of those who own a swimming pool. It is a responsibility that many who don’t own a pool can’t understand. While adult supervision is the most important protection against accidental drowning, the pool should also be surrounded with various other measures that should effectively prevent the children from coming near the pool. This is because a large number of toddlers drown when there is no backup system in place. In order to prevent kids drowning, you must think in terms of layers of protection, so that when one fails there is another safeguard to hold on.
Tips On Making Swimming Pool Safe For Kids
- Fencing is one of the best ways to keep kids away from the swimming pool. The fence should be at least four feet high, without any handholds and footholds. The vertical fence slats should be four inches wide or less so that kids cannot squeeze through them.
- Equip the fence with a self- closing gate that is installed with an automatic lock. The latch or lock should be at the top of the gate so that the kids cannot reach it.
- Another safety device is to install alarms, if you are unable to fence the pool or if the fence is inadequate. If the door of your house leads to the swimming pool area, then install alarms on the door. The alarms will go off whenever the door is opened.
- There are also personal alarms that you can go for. These alarms can be worn on the wrist like a watch and so are especially good for very small kids. Whenever the child enters the water, the alarm will go off.
- Pool covers are also an excellent safety alternative. The pool covers are tightly harnessed across the pool surface. The safety covers are designed to bear the weight of two adults and a child. There are motor operated covers that can be opened and closed in minutes. Take care that the covers should not leave any gaps and should conform to the weight bearing standards. Pool covers are available as mesh nets and solid waterproof materials. Mesh nets are especially good as they are rough and offer no handholds and thus discourage crawling.
- Keep the swimming pool area clear of any toys and discourage playing near that place. Remove the toys so that no child goes to the water to retrieve the toy.
- Adult supervision is the best safety option for the kids. All the rest should be a tight backup system. Always be with your kids when near the pool.