Hoodie is the name given to a heavy upper-body garment, which has a hood attached to it. More commonly known as a ‘sweatshirt’, it is worn by men as well as women, mainly in the winter season. The most common design of a hoodie includes large pockets in the front, a hood and a drawstring that is used to adjust the hood opening. Some of the hoodies also have a zipper in front and are usually known as hooded jackets. All sorts of hoodies are available in the market today, right from the extremely expensive ones to the ones with reasonable prices (perfect for everyday wear). You can also make a hoodie at home. To know how, make use of the instructions given below.
Tips for Making Your Own Hoodie
- Hoodie Pattern
- Sewing Machine
- Separating Zipper
- Wash the fabric that you have bought for making the hoodie. It will help prevent shrinkage later on.
- After the fabric dries, lay it, in a double layer, on a clean, flat surface.
- Cut out pattern. In case you are making your hoodie from an existing garment, cut out a pattern from newspaper first.
- With the help of pins, attach pattern to the fabric.
- Now, carefully cut the fabric. In case you are using your own pattern, make sure to leave a seam allowance. This is the time when you should transfer any tailor markings from the pattern to the fabric.
- If you want, you can stitch pockets on the front of the garment.
- Sew the shoulder seams and the hood seams. You can do the same for the front edge of hood, if necessary.
- Now, pin the hood to the garment.
- If you notice any gaps after pinning, try basting the seam.
- Stitch the seam and then remove the pins.
- Attach sleeves to the garment, with the help of pins, and then, sew them properly. If you want, you can hem sleeve edges.
- Next, sew the side seams.
- Put the zipper in place, in front of the garment, and stitch it with the help of the sewing machine. Make sure to backstitch on both ends of the zipper.
- Hem the bottom of your hoodie.