Making crystal is a good way for parents to introduce science to their kids. Making crystals would be an interesting lesson in chemistry for the kids. People think making crystal is a process, which needs a lot of factory machines and equipment. However, in fact, it is an easy process, which can be done with ingredients, which are usually available at local stores. Crystals are solid materials with atoms, ions, molecules that are arranged in certain patterns. These patterns repeat themselves throughout the molecular structure of crystals. This provides the crystals a definite lattice pattern for each and every crystal. One interesting fact about the crystals is that they can grow even though they are not living things. This process is called as ‘crystallization’. Read on the article to know how to make crystals.
How To Grow Crystal
Crystals With Sugar
- Food coloring
- Cotton thread
- Paper clip
- First of all you should put water in a saucepan and boil it.
- Add sugar slowly as it heats up. Then stir the solution continuously to ensure that the sugar gets dissolved.
- Keep on adding sugar into it, to the extent that no more sugar is soluble in it. If you find that sugar is not getting dissolved, this means that the solution has reached its saturation point.
- You can add food coloring if you wish the sugar crystal to be colorful.
- Filter away the insoluble sugar from the heated solution and pour it in the glass jar
- Tie one end of the thread to the centre of the pencil and other to the paper clip.
- Measure the length of the thread so that if the pencil were to rest on the mouth of the jar, the paper clip would dip into the solution but not touch the bottom of the jar.
- By adjusting the length of the thread, place the pencil across the opening of the jar.
- Now, place the jar at such a place where it could be undisturbed for long. You can leave it for a few hours.
- When the solution in the jar cools, crystals of sugar can be seen getting deposited on the paper clip
Crystals With Alum
- Alum Powder
- Glass jar
- Nylon Thread
- First of all you have to take two cups of water in a sauce pan and add half a cup of alum powder to it.
- After that, you should heat the solution over medium flame and stir it constantly till alum powder dissolves completely in water.
- Alum powder should be added until a saturated solution is formed.
- Pour a small amount of this solution into a dish which is not too deep and allow it to cool.
- Once the solution is cool, you will see small crystals forming
- Take out one of the crystals and let it to dry completely. This is your "seed" crystal, i.e, the crystal from which the rest of the crystal will grow.
- Tie one end of a piece of thread around the crystal, and tie the other end around the middle of a pencil.
- Prepare another saturated alum solution, as explained above.
- Pour the solution into a glass jar.
- Place the pencil over the jar in such a manner that the thread hangs down into the jar and the crystal is suspended in the solution.
- Cover the jar with a paper towel to prevent the dust from getting into the crystals.
- In a few days, the crystal will grow