Come summer holidays and the kids are ready to spend the lazy afternoons, dozing off on a hammock in the backyard. While keeping them out of mischief and trouble, this particular activity also helps them commune with the nature. If you don't have a hammock in your garden till now and would like to install one, this article is sure to prove really useful to you. Here, we have provided instructions for making one, all by yourself. What are you waiting for? Go through the following lines and know how to make a hammock.
Making Your Own Hammock
- Rope/ Hammock Cord
- Sewing Machine
- Heavy-duty Thread
- 2 (3-inch by 4-foot) Dowels
- 6 (2-inch) Eye Hooks
- 2 (3-inch) Heavy Duty Screw-in Rings
- First of all, you need to find a suitable spot in your garden, where you can (and would like to) build a hammock.
- While deciding on the location of the hammock, keep in mind that you need to have two trees there, about 12 to 15 feet apart.
- Depending upon the distance between the two trees in your preferred location, decide on the length of canvas and rope. You will need three lengths of rope or hammock cord for each side.
- After you have determined the length of the canvas and purchased the same, fold it over the ends, about 3 inches.
- Now, with the help of a sewing machine and a heavy-duty thread, stitch down the edges. With this, you will have flaps around the canvas, into which you need to insert a 3-inch by 4-foot dowel
- On each dowel, screw in three heavy-duty 2-inch eyehooks, making sure to provide an even space in-between all the hooks.
- Next, get the rope and cut six lengths out of it. Take one end of the rope and place it into one eyehook, tying a square knot. Repeat the step with the other five eyehooks and rope lengths as well.
- Insert 3-inch rings on both of the trees, at such a height that you will be off the ground, after getting into the hammock.
- Take the rope lengths on one side of the hammock and braid them together. After putting the end of the braid through the eyehook in the tree, tie a square knot.
- Repeat the above step for the other side of the hammock as well. You hammock is ready for you to take a nap in.