There are a number of ways in which you can prepare chicken - baking, stir frying and even grilling. Talking about the last option, the grilling process brings out great flavors from the chicken. Grilled chicken also takes much lesser time to prepare, as compared to other types of chicken dishes, and does not involve too many efforts as well. Now, do you want to experiment with your grill, for making chicken, as well? If yes, then go through the following lines and know how to grill chicken, as a whole or in pieces.
Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 1 (2½ - 3½ pound) Broiler-fryer Chicken
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Herbs
- Oil for the grill
- 2 tbsp Herbs (Fresh Basil, Cilantro, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon or Thyme), minced
- Olive Oil
- Meat Thermometer
- Barbecue Grill
- Grill Utensils
- Chef's Knives
- Wire Grill Brushes
- Cutting Board
Grilling Whole Chicken
- First of all, remove the giblets from the cavity. Now, place the chicken under cold water and rinse it thoroughly.
- With the help of paper towels, pat the chicken dry. Making use of salt, pepper and herbs, season it inside and out.
- Arrange the charcoal grill properly and prepare a bed of hot coals therein. Raking the hot coals to one side, grill the chicken next to the coals. However, make sure not to grill the chicken over the coals.
- In case you have a gas grill, you can grill the chicken by turning only one of the burners on high heat, leaving half of the grill unlit.
- Next, with the help of a stiff wire brush, brush the hot grill grate clean. Now, hold a small, clean towel with tongs and use it to coat the grill rack thinly with oil.
- Place the chicken on the unheated side of the grill, with the breast side down. Cover the chicken and cook it for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chicken, having the breast side up, and continue grilling for about 30 more minutes, or until the chicken skin in golden brown and the meat seems cooked through.
- With the help of a knife, cut into the middle (thickest part) of a piece of chicken. If the juices run clear, you can be sure that the chicken has been cooked fully. Now, let it sit for about 15 minutes and then carve.
Grilling Chicken Pieces
- Place the bone-in, skin-on parts of the chicken under cold water and rinse them thoroughly.
- With the help of paper towels, pat the chicken dry. Making use of salt, pepper, season them.
- Rub the chicken pieces lightly, making use of a small amount of olive oil.
- In case of a charcoal grill, arrange it properly and prepare a bed of medium-hot therein.
- In case you have a gas grill, turn it to medium-high heat and then brush it clean with a stiff wire brush. Hold a small, clean towel with the help of tongs and use it to coat the grill rack thinly with oil.
- Place the chicken pieces, skin-side-down, on the grill and cook them, uncovered, for 30 minutes, making sure to turn them several times in-between.
- After you feel that the skin of the chicken pieces is golden brown and the meat has been cooked through, brush barbecue sauce onto them.
- With the help of a knife, cut into the middle (thickest part) of a piece of chicken. If the juices run clear, you can be sure that the chicken pieces have been cooked fully.