While motherhood is a boon for every woman, it brings along with it some ailments that come as a total surprise for the new mom. One among them is sore nipples. We all know breast milk is the best food for a newborn provides all the essential nutrients. Apart from this, it is also the best way to keep a woman look young and beautiful, even after pregnancy. However, sore nipples are a cause of concern for the feeding mothers. Excessive pain, hardened feeling in the breast and swelling are some of the most common symptoms of sore nipples. Are you wondering how to get rid of them? If yes, then read below to explore some home remedies to help you get rid of them.
Home Remedies For Sore Nipples
- Breast milk is the best way of getting rid of sore nipples. Apply a small amount of the milk on the nipple and let it air dry.
- Drying the nipples from a hair dryer on a low heat is found to be effective in treating the uncomforting and aching feeling.
- One of the most effective ways of treating sore nipples would be to apply warm tea bags on them. This would subsidize the pain and also cure from the soreness.
- Mix salt and water in the ratio of 1:4. Dip the cotton ball in the solution and dab it on the nipples for about 15 minutes, before and after feeding.
- In three cups of water, soak one half cup regular barley and keep it overnight. Strain the solution the next morning and store it in a refrigerator. Whenever needed, boil a cup or two of barley solution and add fennel seeds to it. Make sure you put a tsp per cup of barley water. Drink this solution. Apart from easing off the pains, it also increases the breast milk production.
- Rubbing alcohol is another efficient way to get rid of sore nipples. Sponge the nipples with alcohol and rinse it with clean water.
- Applying hot water towels on the nipples 15 minutes before feeding is an effective way of treating sore nipples.
- Changing the position of the baby each time you feed is also helpful in treating the sore nipples. Use a pillow to bring the baby until the height of your breast.
- Steam a handful of confrey leaves and wrap them in gauze. Place this on the breast. This is an efficient way in getting rid of the soreness of the nipples.
- Make sure you wear a clean bra every time.
- Do not wash your nipples with soap. They tend to dry it.
- Do not forget to clean your nipples after feeding.
- Massage the lumps of the breast in between feeding.
- Take proper rest. This would help treat the soreness automatically.
- It is advisable that the new moms should have large amounts of fluids during the stage of feeding.
- Expose your breasts and nipples to sunlight for minimum 30 seconds and gradually increase it to three minutes.