The world around us is filled with varied things. Everything has its own distinct smell and appearance. Some things smell good while some smell bad. Humans distinguish between different odors, with the help of their strong sense of smell. The importance of smells can be determined from the fact that anything smelling good can elevate your mood and make you feel fresh, energetic, joyful, and positive. This is because, smell directly appeals to our emotions and the way we feel especially when the smell is of home. When a bad smell at home can make us cranky and irritated, a nice smelling home makes us feel at peace and revives us. In addition, one of the first things, which you notice when you visit somebody’s home, is the smell. It’s the same in the case of our home also. Actually, odors make the first impression for a house and unless it is pleasant and fresh, it can even make a poor impression of an otherwise clean house. On order to get a good impression for your house, you need to keep away all the foul odors. To help you in getting rid of bad smell, given below are some useful tips. Read on to know how to get rid of household odors.
Getting Rid Of Household Odors
- Household odors can be cleared using baking soda. It can be applied dry or mixed and sprayed with warm water.
- Charcoal is another effective item to neutralize bad smell. Charcoal can be used by putting it inside a box with several holes in it. This assembly should be placed in the smelling area and should be thrown after use.
- You can also use white vinegar to deodorize the foul smell. It can be directly sprayed mixed with water. Or you can also fill a tub with vinegar and place it on the floor in a tub and let it sit there with all the windows closed for a day.
- Put freshly grounded house coffee in a bowl and place it in a foul smelling room. It will soon absorb the odor.
- Next time, whenever you make tea, add four tablespoons of lemon juice in it. Strain this mixture with paper coffee filter and spray over the area with offensive smell. It will neutralize it gradually.
- Citrus fruits like lemon and oranges also help in removing the bad odors and also leave a fresh smell behind. However, the use of citrus juices on fabrics is not recommended as it can leave stain. However, it is very effective for keeping in refrigerator, to remove the smell of dustbin, floor etc.
- Cat litter is also an effective way to combat household odors. You can leave cat litter in open box or tub as it helps in trapping and absorbing odors.
- Whenever you are vacuuming a room, put a ball of cotton dipped in vanilla extract and keep it in the blower, which will perfume the room while you are cleaning.
- To remove the musty odor of the cupboard, keep a box of cat litter in it, which will absorb the smell. After the smell is gone, you can spray a little room freshener and find your cupboard fresh.
- Sometimes the reason of a bad smelling house is a bad smelling carpet. To remove the carpet odor, you can use steam cleaner and add a little fabric freshener.
- If the room smells damp it may be because of the growth of microorganisms in a area which is moisturized. You can use a moisture sensor to find the dampness and then spray an-antimicrobial to combat it.