Imagine you are walking past a beautiful and well decorated house. As you come close to the house, you back away as fast as possible - the repulsive smell of garbage and stale food that emanates from the house spoils the effect of the exteriors. In a similar way, bad breath can make people repel us, no matter how good we look or what efforts we make to look attractive. Popular television commercials widely proclaim that love blooms better with fresh breath. While, in real life, things do not happen just the same way, fresh breath can go a long way in creating a favorable impression. For instance, what would you feel about the owners of the house, that was just mentioned? They would obviously seem to be people who are careless, dirty and with no value for good things. If you have bad breath, you would give others a similar impression about yourself. People would not want to talk to you, you would not be able to have fun in public, and, most of all, you would lose the respect of those close to you. Read on to find out how to stop bad breath.
How To Stop Bad Breath
- Clean your mouth thoroughly and regularly. Bacteria and decaying food particles are two major causes of mouth odor. Clean your mouth and gums properly everyday.
- Your tongue is like a shaggy carpet where all kinds of smelly stuff can hide. While brushing your teeth everyday, use a tongue cleaner or your tooth brush to clean your tongue as well.
- Always keep your mouth moisturized as a dry mouth is a stinky mouth. This is one reason for your breath smelling bad when you wake up. Saliva is the enemy of bad breath. It washes away bacteria and germs and also contains antiseptics and enzymes that kill bacteria. Drinking a lot of water can also help flush away germs.
- One of the ways in which you can get rid of bad odor and keep your mouth moisturized is by chewing on gum. Chewing gum helps stimulate saliva production.
- If you are not taking in the stipulated amount of carbohydrates every day, then you might suffer from bad breath. This is referred to as ‘Ketenes breath’ in this context. As your body breaks down fats instead of carbohydrates for energy, it creates ketenes breath which smells very bad. Having apples or bananas with your meals will help a lot.
- If you have tried everything and are still not able to get rid of bad breath, then you may have a medical issue that needs to be treated. Some of the potential culprits which might be causing bad breath in are tonsil stones, diabetic ketoacidosis, constipation or a sinus infection. All these problems will require proper medical attention.