Leather accessories are very popular due to their majestic look and durability. With proper maintenance, they are extremely durable and long-lasting. Leather can be found in various forms such as wallets, belts, purses, jackets, etc. Leather wallets are available mostly in darker colors like black or brown that help conceal dirt and stains. But, most of the time, we do not realize how dirty our wallets usually get. They get as filthy as our clothes. Thus, it is important to care and maintain our leather wallets to extend their life. Follow the tips given to maintain the elegant and rich look of your leather wallet for years. Given here are some cleaning and caring tips for leather wallets that could prove handy to you.
Tips For Cleaning Leather Wallets
- Empty your wallet and remove everything that isn’t attached to your wallet and set aside. Remove the pictures especially as they can get damaged in the cleaning process.
- Use anti-bacterial disinfectant wipes to wipe your wallet. Money is one of the dirtiest things we come in contact with on a daily basis which results in all sorts of bacterial growth in the wallet.
- Pour some leather cleaner on a soft cloth and rub your leather wallet with it. Scrub the folds and cracks of the wallet to their best.
- Apply a leather conditioner using the same cloth on the wallet liberally in order to soak the leather. This will help rejuvenate and condition the old worn leather.
- Once the leather has completely dried out, replace all credit cards, cash, photos and papers in the wallet.
- The simplest way to keep your wallets clean is to wipe out dust over them from time to time.
- You can make your own leather cleaner at home by mixing one part white vinegar with two parts neat’s-foot oil. Use a white lint free cloth to apply this solution to the leather in a swirling motion.
- You can apply shoe polish, olive oil, beeswax or walnut oil to the leather wallet and buff with a chamois cloth to a shine.
- Use saddle soap to clean the leather wallet first and later condition it using a leather conditioner. This will increase your wallet’s life and water proof it also.
- Apply petroleum jelly or waterless hand cleaner over the spots, rub in a circular motion and efface with a clean cloth. These products work as conditioners also.
- Make some soapy water and use a cotton towel to lightly scrub your wallet. Later, hydrate the wallet with some mink oil (easily available at any leather accessory store).
- In case your wallet gets wet, soak water using a sponge, newspaper or a cloth. Let the leather dry naturally and follow any of the tips given above to clean and condition your wallet.