You have worked long and hard towards that right moment to propose to the girl of your dreams, only to find out that she is engaged to someone else. Or, you put your heart and soul into your work - just to find that your colleague has got that much awaited promotion! Do such scenarios sound familiar to you? If they do, there is no need to despair and think that someone has jinxed you. Almost all of us have faced setbacks at some or the other point of time in our life. Needless to say, setbacks are not something we like to put up with, especially when everything else seems to be so right and perfect! Just taking life with a pinch of salt, however, might get the ball back in your court! Remember, setback is just a phase of life that is likely to get over soon. Holding yourself in the midst of adversity and fighting out of it will just make you a wiser, better person. Think before taking the escape route. It is likely to get you nowhere. Instead, hold your ground, assess, evaluate, consider and act. Here are some boosters for you to take heed of, when suffering from setback. Read on and know all about dealing with the setbacks that have been plaguing for life for sometime now.
How To Deal With Setbacks
- ‘A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them’- says Maxwell. Running away from your problems is no way to deal with them! Acknowledging your problems is the first big step towards solving them. Keep a tab over your feelings and look out for possible signs of despair, distress and dejection in yourself. Once you have done so, accept them and then take steps to rid your system of these feelings. Don’t be harsh on yourself. Just let go off all feelings. The low would soon disappear.
- The next step is to understand the cause behind the setback. A bad day at work, a misunderstanding with your spouse, a street-brawl, your own fault - anything that might have caused the setback needs to be figured out. Doing this can go a long way in helping you dissipate your anxiety.
- Stay positive. Failures can make our reasons go for a toss, at times. Instead of concentrating on wrongs, try to think of all the right things you have done. Once you have a smile back on your face and are feeling good about yourself, look towards tomorrow. It will give you a chance to start over once again and do things in the right way.
- Often, we conjure up impressions of things that are far beyond the reality. At such times, things may not be as bad as they seem. When the situations seem drab, it is better to distance yourself from them, in order to gain an accurate perspective. An objective consideration of the situation may help you to assess it better and take the right corrective measures.
- The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work. If you have suffered a slowdown in life, there is hardly any reason to despair. Remember, failure is not a setback, rather your unwillingness to accept it and refuse to give things a try is. Don’t sit and cry over your failures. Look for opportunities to come out of it and work your way to success. Remember, “when life gives you lemon, you can start making lemonade.”