Soups are always healthy and great for each season. The ingredients from which a soup is prepared make it all the more healthier and yummier. In the winter season, soups become the favorite meal for most. The traditional tomato soup have, today, been replaced by a variety of soups. For those who like a lot of vegetables and cheese in their soup, broccoli cheese soup is the best bet for them. Both the major ingredients offer great richness and flavor to the appetizer, thus making the dish all the more tempting and enticing. The broccoli and cheese soup can be modified with other ingredients such as chicken, potatoes, and so on. This soup is great for people suffering from diabetes as it helps to keep the disease under control. The sprouts of broccoli are more effective than any other antibiotics which fight against peptic ulcer bacteria. Broccoli also decreases the risk of cancer. Since it is made from fresh broccolis and other veggies, it makes way for a perfect supper in case you want to have something light. So, apart from being a delightful and appetizing delicacy, broccoli and cheese soup offers great health benefits as well. Check out some recipes for preparing broccoli and cheese soup in the following lines.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes
Basic Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 bunch Broccoli (1 ¼ pounds)
- 2 cups sliced Onions
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 7 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Dried Leaf Oregano
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Wash the broccoli thoroughly and cut it into small pieces.
- Simmer the small pieces of broccoli in salted water for about two minutes.
- After simmering, drain the broccoli and immerse it into cold water immediately and keep it separately. Chop the stalks in smaller size and keep it separately.
- Now, in a saucepan, take 2 tbsp butter. Melt it. Add onions, 1 cup of cheese and the chopped stalks. Sauté on a medium flame until the sliced onions turns pinkish.
- Add 5 cups of chicken broth and oregano to the saucepan. Simmer for around half an hour.
- Now take this hot mixture in a container and blend it in a blender until it gets smooth in texture.
- Take another pan and put the remaining butter into it. Melt the butter and add flour. Stir continuously until it becomes smooth.
- Now add mustard and pepper to the melted butter.
- Slowly stir the processed mixture into it and add remaining chicken broth to it.
- Cook well and bring it to boil.
- Stir in milk and cheese and cook well until the cheese gets melted completely.
Broccoli Cheese Soup With Rice
- 2 cups uncooked Rice (white or brown)
- 2 cups frozen chopped Broccoli
- 1 can Reduced-Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 cups low-fat Milk
- 2 cup low-fat processed Cheese
- ½ cup Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Cook the rice well.
- Take a saucepan and add broccoli, cream of mushroom soup and milk. Simmer it on a medium heat.
- Also, add 1 ½ cup low-fat processed cheese to the above saucepan and stir until it gets melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add cooked rice. Stir it well.
- Garnish the soup with the remaining cheese. Additionally, sprinkle shredded cheese.
Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 250 g Broccoli (florets)
- 250 g Cauliflower (florets)
- 50 g Onions (chopped)
- 600 ml Vegetable Stock
- 300 ml Skimmed Milk
- 40 g Tiny Pasta Shapes for Soup
- 75 g Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Chives
- Black Pepper
- Grated Nutmeg (garnish)
- Take a large saucepan and put broccoli, cauliflower, onions and stalk in it.
- Bring it to boil. Cover the saucepan and put the flame on medium for about 10 minutes.
- When the florets become soft, puree it in a food processor.
- After processing, put the soup back to the saucepan. Now add pasta and milk, bring to simmer and cover it for 10 minutes.
- When the pasta gets tender, add cheese and ½ tbsp chives. Simmer for some time until the soup becomes thick. Don’t boil it.
- Garnish with remaining chives and nutmegs.
- You may also eat this soup after freezing.
Low Fat Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 cup Broccoli
- ½ cup Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 cup Pasta
- 2 cups Water
- Cheese (low fat)
- Take container and put 2 cups of water in it, bring to boil.
- Add pasta, broccoli and salt to it. Simmer it for around 10 minutes.
- Add onions, low fat cheese and chopped garlic into it and cook well.
Broccoli cheese soup serves as a great supper or a light meal, especially for winter season. Don’t wait and enjoy by preparing any of the above mentioned recipes of broccoli cheese soup given above.