Goldenseal is an herb hailed for its medicinal properties. Belonging to the family of buttercup, it’s a perennial herb that is indigenous to northeastern United States and southeastern Canada. Distinguished by its hairy leaves and small unobtrusive flowers, goldenseal is one of the most popular herbs in today’s market. For goldenseal, the walk into fame started in the early 1800’s, when it was promoted by an herbalist Samuel Thompson. Thompson had immense belief in the magical herb, which ultimately led it to become one of the most selling herbs in today’s market. Through this article, we will help you become aware of the many benefits of the herb that we know as goldenseal.
Health Benefits Of Goldenseal Herb
- Goldenseal is one of the oldest herbal remedies used for treating cold and stuffy nose, apart from bronchitis and sinus problems.
- The herb contains vitamin A, E, C and B-complex. It is also packed with minerals and nutrients. Taking it can be a challenge as it is very bitter to taste. However, it is available in powdered and capsulated form, making the intake easier.
- Goldenseal serves as a wonderful digestive tonic. It contains astringent properties, which makes it good for treating stomach problem.
- The herb also has anti-microbial properties and can be useful for treating certain infections.
- Goldenseal is also helpful in detoxifying the body and relieving it from harmful toxins, thus preventing many diseases.
- The herb is helpful in the case of internal bleeding. Even excessive menstrual bleeding can be treated by goldenseal.
- Goldenseal promotes healthy liver and spleen functions, by increasing the bile flow and digestive enzymes.
- The herb is believed to alleviate one from constipation. Because of its astringent properties, it can also be used to treat bladder and intestine infections.
- Goldenseal is even good for treating diarrhea. It is also believed to promote healthy glandular functions.
- The herb is also believed to remove canker sores. All you need to do is to gargle with it and you will be relieved of your pains.
- Goldenseal was even used by Native Americans to treat skin disorders and eye irritations.
- The herb can also be used for treating fungal infections of the skin and healing minor wounds.
- Goldenseal should not be used in pregnancy and avoided during lactation.
- It should also be avoided by people with high blood pressure.
- Intake of goldenseal should be avoided in case of early stage upper respiratory infection.
- Absorption of vitamin B can be reduced by the usage of Goldenseal over a long period of time.