Blackstrap molasses is dark, sweetened, flavored syrup that is obtained in the process of refining sugar cane into table sugar. It is the third boiling of the sugar syrup that yields the nutritious syrup of blackstrap molasses. Its bittersweet flavor offers a different taste to food items like ginger bread and baked beans. The syrup is rich in various nutrients, including protein, iron, calcium, potassium, copper, manganese and magnesium. It is the perfect sweetener for health conscious individuals as well, with fewer calories and no contribution of cholesterol, fat and amino acids. Until 19th century, blackstrap molasses was used as sweetener as it was much cheaper than refined sugar. However, it became popular as an outcome of health food movement in the middle of 20th century and the success story is being carried forward till date. With this article, we will help you explore the various benefits of blackstrap molasses.
Health Benefits Of Blackstrap Molasses
- Blackstrap molasses is an excellent source of essential nutrient calcium, which is required by the body for various physiological activities, like strengthening bones, removing toxins from the colon and preventing migraine attacks.
- The syrup is rich in copper, which helps in the production of connective tissue and melanin (skin and hair pigment), along with elimination of free radicals, in the body.
- Two teaspoons of blackstrap molasses fulfill 18% of the day’s requirement of manganese for the human body, which is important for healthy nervous system and cholesterol. It works by manufacturing fatty acids and producing energy from proteins and carbohydrates.
- Another important health benefit is obtained from the potassium, which is found in abundance in blackstrap molasses. It helps in sustaining electrolyte and pH balance in the body.
- The magnesium present in the syrup helps in stabilizing the content of extra calcium in the body, thereby acting as calcium channel blocker. In addition, it helps prevent calcium from entering the nerve cells, gives bones a physical structure and stores extra calcium on the surface of bone, which can be used when required.
- Blackstrap molasses can help in boosting the iron stores in the body and increase energy. The body is nourished with iron, by a regular intake of just two tablespoon of blackstrap molasses.
- The syrup is also a good source of vitamin B6, a nutrient that plays essential role in cellular reaction in the body and maintains healthy brain function.
- It is a good source of selenium, an antioxidant that prevents cancer and has anti-aging effects as well.
- Blackstrap Molasses can be taken easily by all people, as it has no sign of being considered as an allergic food.
- Blackstrap molasses can be put in baked beans, to have a strong flavor.
- Its blackish- brown color can be easily imparted in basting chicken or turkey, along with a unique taste.
- When blackstrap molasses is applied on gingerbread cakes and cakes, it imparts a distinguished, yet delicious flavor.
- It can be used as an alternative for sugar in milk, tea, coffee, cereals and desserts, especially by health conscious people.