Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are more than sixty years old. Can you believe that!! No, right!! It is hard to accept the fact, especially when the image of a senior citizen, which is stuck in our head, is that of a person slumped in a wheelchair, or spending time in the hospital. It is true that all of us age and with the aging, our body becomes weak and loses the taut muscles. However, it is not necessary to spend the retirement days in bed or hospital. Studies have shown that weight training exercises can help reduce the muscle deterioration and even improve the mobility of senior citizens. Not only that, a regular exerciser has better control on diabetes, arthritis, and even depression. Weight training also helps improve posture stability and increases the flexibility of a person. It helps you lead a healthy, functional, and Independent life. In addition, the best part about it is that it’s never too late to start it. So, read on to know some great tips on weight training for seniors.
Weight Training Tips For Senior Citizens
- The first thing, which you can do, is to join a gym. It is always better to start the exercising process in assistance with an instructor. It will help you stay healthy and increase the flexibility.
- A warming up session of twenty minutes is of utmost importance for senior citizens. It will reduce the chances of any wear and tear of muscles.
- Start with light weights for all the muscle groups, like the chest, back, shoulders, legs, and arms.
- You can devote three days a week for weight lifting. It will be enough to help you come back in shape.
- You can incorporate dumbbells exercises, bench press, chin-ups and deadlifts and even the resistance bands in your workout.
- Learn the proper way of exercising from your instructor. In addition, repeat two to three sets of each exercise, with the reps in the range of eight to ten. Focus on the form more than the frequency.
- You can increase the weights, if you are able to do so easily. However, don’t stretch yourself too much. Also, instead of trying to gain more muscles, you need to concentrate on making them stronger.
- You can increase the weight either by increasing the weight of the exercising machine or by adding more sets. However, make sure that you take rest in between.
- In addition, after you have finished your weight training, you need to do stretching exercises. Take proper meals and drink enough water.