Red tea is not actually a tea, but rather an herbal tisane from the plant Aspalathus Linearis, which grows only in South Africa. The leaves of this plant are green when picked and becomes red only when fermented. Locally known as Rooibos, the tea has been associated with a number of medical and refreshment benefits and has been used by the people of South Africa, since ages. The best aspect of Rooibos tea is that it contains no added colors, additives or preservatives, making it a natural beverage. It is a tea minus caffeine and contains anti-oxidants, thus emerging as one of the best fighters against all sorts of diseases and allergies. Red tea is beneficial for all age groups including children. In the following lines, you can explore on a number of health benefits provided by red tea.
Rooibos Tea Health Benefits
- Red tea contains Polyphenols that has anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-mutagenic qualities.
- Rooibos is full of calcium, magnesium and fluoride minerals. These minerals assist in having a good bone structure and stronger teeth. It also keeps bones and teeth from decaying.
- The most important feature of a red tea is that unlike other teas, it is free from caffeine. This makes it a good option for the one allergic to caffeine. It is also recommended by doctors for people suffering with insomnia.
- Rooibos contain alpha hydroxyl acid and zinc, which is very good for skin. You can apply some red tea powder directly to the skin to relieve acne, pimples, sunburns or any other skin related problems.
- Red tea is also considered as a good option for bringing relief to stress, nervous tension and hypertension conditions.
- Red tea is excellent for hyperactive children and relieves insomnia, as it contains no caffeine. It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. These minerals present in Rooibos build healthy strong blood vessels, aids digestion and prevent tooth decay. Red tea can also be useful for small infants who suffer from colic or stomach pains. It also acts as a good thirst quencher for school children and can be drunk throughout the day.
- People with stone problem can also consume Rooibos as and when they wish, as the tea does not contain oxalic acid in the beverage.
- Red tea is rich in anti-spasmodic agents, which are quiet effective in treating stomach cramps and abdominal pains.
- Red tea is very useful in curing allergies like eczema, hay fever and bronchitis. In many parts of South Africa red tea has been used since years together to fight allergies.
- The anti-oxidants present in Rooibos helps in slowing down human aging process and also gives a boost to the immunity levels of the human body.
- Red tea is said to contain rare nutrients such as quercetin and bioflavanoid that assists in good blood circulation and also helps in obstructing hemorrhaging.