We usually see men and women relaxing on the beach or by the river bed and taking a sun bath. Today, people love to get their skin tanned in summers to flaunt that sultry dark look. However, not many are aware of the harmful effects that direct sun rays can do to our skin. Keep in mind that the ozone layer is thinning down day by day as a result of global warming, and therefore the excuse of receiving Vitamin D goes out of question. Direct sun rays on skin causes skin burn, rather than skin tan, and can lead to other skin-related diseases such as blemishes and skin cancer. In case you are one of those wishing to get that golden shade on your skin tone, resolve to applying self tanning lotions and creams, rather than exposing yourself to sun, as the lotion promises to give you the same result or may be better result than direct sun exposure. Applying the self tanning lotion requires practice and patience. This article will provide you with tips on how to use self tanning lotion.
Tips On Using Self Tanning Lotion
- It is always better to choose a lotion, after trying it on a small part of your body, to avoid any skin problems later on. The self-tanner that is good for your friend need not necessarily work for you. Wait for at least 24 hrs to see the effect of the lotion on the applied area, before going in for the product.
- Gels, sprays and lotions are better for oily skin, while creams and heavy lotions work well for dry skin types. Apart from that, the way you apply the tanner also makes a difference in the way the tanner reacts to your skin.
- Exfoliate your skin for few days before applying the self-tanner. This is an essential step and should not be avoided by any chance. Remember, your skin needs to shed off its dead, scaly layer, so that the tanner can show desired result. Rub your body with a scrubber, while taking a shower, making sure to spend more time on the areas that tend to dry.
- Before you plan to tan up your body, apply an effective body lotion or moisturizer all over your body, immediately after the shower. Many areas of your body like the elbow and knees tend to get dry soon. This will lead to soaking up of the self tanner, leading to splotched coloring. Keeping your skin moisturized and healthy is a prerequisite for a proper tanning.
- Make sure that you don’t apply the self tanner in your steamy bathroom. The heat and the moisture in your bathroom will make the tanner melt, thereby causing streaks. Also, make sure that your body is dry and cooled down after taking shower. Hot skin will have the same effect as the steamy bathroom.
- While applying the self tanner, do not rush through the entire body. Rather, relax and concentrate on one part at a time. Start with one area of the body and slowly work your way around your entire body, applying the tanner properly at every place. Remember, slow and attentive application of the tanner will give better results.
- For a more natural look, it is better to dilute the self tanner with some moisturizer. Your knees, ankles and elbows are the first ones to show if the tanner is not applied properly.
- Make sure that you wash your hands properly multiple times, while applying the tanner. Another option to keep the tanner away from your palms and the areas you don’t want to apply is by using latex gloves or a damp makeup sponge for the application. Using a sponge for applying the tanner will keep the self tanner off your palms.
- Self tanners take a long time to dry. So, even if you feel odd and restless, it is advisable to wait for your tanner to dry to get the best result, else you might end up staining your clothes or sheets.