Life is too short to for complexities and self-pity. To lead a happy and contented life, you should learn to create your own identity and develop a sense of self-confidence. The prime concept behind ‘self-confidence’ is to accept and love yourself, despite your flaws and defects. You should always remember that no one in this world is perfect and expecting too much from yourself can always lead to a lot of depression and despair, particularly if the wishes are not fulfilled. Accepting who you are will go a great deal in helping you achieve success, be it any sphere of life.
Different psychotherapists and counselors have come up with different definitions of self-esteem. In fact, the terms self esteem, self-respect and self-integrity are deemed to be closely related with each other. To know whether you are suffering from low self-esteem (LSE), you should be able to recognize the signs and symptoms and then act accordingly. In case it is the initial stage, of mild to moderate degree of LSE, then taking care of the situation can be quite simple and easy. However, in the latter stages, it can take a lot of effort on your part and you may even need to opt for professional advice or help. Given below are some tips on how you can fix the problem of low self-esteem.
How To Overcome Low Self Esteem
- Make a list of all your strength and weaknesses. Now, start with your strengths and talk about them. Once you feel that you can handle your weakness, select one of them and think of ways of how you can improve it.
- Accept and welcome compliments from others, even if you feel that you don’t deserve them. Also, never fail to congratulate yourself when you do anything good.
- Try to judge what is right for you and strive to find a balance between what you feel and what you know to be true. Make it a point not to blindly accept criticism and blame from others.
- Do not attempt to take a major leap in life, to move closer to your goals. You should keep in mind that a single small step towards achievement is better than one major leap leading to failure.
- Try to judge your capacities and set goals or aims in accordance with them. Failure to fulfill unexceptionally high aims can lead to a lot of depression and subsequently low self-esteem.
- Always keep in mind that nobody in this world is perfect and desiring perfectionism from oneself can lead to low self-esteem.
- Be careful while choosing friends. Be with only those people who support you and have a positive approach towards life.
- Spend some time everyday in doing something that you enjoy. This can be anything from reading a book to listening to music to walking in the park. Feel yourself getting engulfed with the joy of performing these activities. This will definitely increase your sense of self worth and self-integrity.
- Never put yourself below others and avoid any form of negative comments regarding your skills and activities.