‘Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal’. This quote by ‘Louis K. Anspacher’ totally sums up the meaning of marriage. It requires commitment, adjustments and compromises from both the individuals. A husband has to contribute as much to the marriage as his wife, only then can they expect their relationship to go on smoothly. Usually, husbands are so much involved in their office that they forget to give time to their wives and appreciate their efforts. If you are of them, it is time to correct your mistakes. Read the tips given below to know how to be a better husband.
Tips for Being a Better Husband
- Try to develop an interest in the things or hobbies about which your wife is passionate. For example, if she loves to dance, try joining a weekly dance class with her. It will help both of you get closer to each other.
- Every few days, give her a day off. Pack the lunchbox for the kids, drop them to school and later, pick them and take them for lunch outside. This way, she will get time for herself and will be totally refreshed when you come home after lunch.
- Learn to say sorry for your mistakes. Marriage requires efforts from both the sides. Just as she apologizes if she is wrong, you should also apologize if you are at fault. A simple sorry can help you avoid many major arguments and fights.
- Don’t forget to thank her for the efforts she puts in for making your house a home. If she is not perfect, neither are you. Thank her for putting up with you and accepting you the way you are. This will make her much more accommodating for your faults the next time.
- You are no more a kid and should learn to accept the responsibility for your own clutter. Don’t throw the towel on the bed, don’t leave your shoes in the middle of the room and put the used mugs in the sink.
- Do small chores for yourself, like getting a glass of water, making the bed, etc. It will give her sometime for herself.
- Help her out in the household chores whenever you can. You can start by helping her clean the dishes, lay the table, clear up the table, put kids to sleep, etc.
- Make sure that you take time out for just the two of you every few weeks. Get a baby sitter for the kids and take her out for a movie and then a nice, romantic dinner.
- Look good. Just as you want your wife to impress others, she also wants you to make a good impression on her friends.
- Show your wife that you love her and care for her. It usually happens that after marriage, we forget to say ‘I Love You’. Don’t take things for granted. Express your love and you will see her reciprocating in double amounts.