Summers are the perfect time to enjoy a picnic with your family! Whether picnicking at the beach, mountains, riverside, meadows, or even in the backyard of our home, the ‘picnic’ name itself can invigorate us and enhance the taste of the food. There is no doubt in the fact that the foods taken under the blue sky, on a picnic, taste better. Though food basket comes as a perfect option for carrying food, you often don’t wish to carry your cutlery out on a picnic. So, your option is to pick biodegradable plates. Biodegradable plates not only answer your worries of carrying dishes but are also easy to dispose. What more, you can add your bit in keeping environment green. You might opt for plastic cutlery but nothing can be better than biodegradable plates, which are environment friendly and have no hazardous impact on the nature. You can choose to serve in biodegradable plates on any occasion from party to a large gathering. By switching onto the usage of biodegradable plates, you can make a significant impact on the problem of landfill shortage. There are various benefits of biodegradable plates, and some of them are mentioned below.
Advantages Of Using Biodegradable Plates
- Biodegradable plates are ideal for picnics. During social occasions, such as outdoor picnics, barbecues, or small outings, disposable plates come as handy. Disposable plates, cups, bowls and other disposable utensils or food containers provide us with an option of eating away from home.
- They are also a great convenience, when holding a gathering for a large number of people. A small gathering like your kid’s birthday party becomes more enjoyable for you, when you know that there is no dish cleaning waiting for you.
- Use of biodegradable plates just doesn’t offer great convenience, they are also environment friendly. Biodegradable plates are made from baggase, which is a fiber left over after extracting juice from sugarcane. Biodegradable plates made from bagasse will decompose over sometime, and will not have any harmful impact on the environment.
- Biodegradable plates are completely non-toxic and impermeable and so serving food in these plates will not have any adverse effect on the people eating in them.
- Another advantage of biodegradable plates is that they are easily available. From small plates, which can be used in birthday parties to the large plates, which are just appropriate for serving large gathering, a large variety is available. This makes biodegradable plates a popular choice.
Disposing Off Biodegradable Plates
In order to have full advantage of using biodegradable plates, it is necessary to dispose them off properly. Biodegradable plates are designed to be composted not recycled. The plant-based material in these plates will contaminate if not separated from conventional plastic like soda cans. To decompose the items made from compostable materials, you shouldn’t keep them in landfills rather they should be composted at home.
Alternatives To Biodegradable Plates
While there are various advantages of using biodegradable plates and food containers, there are also some drawbacks. Though they are disposable, it doesn’t undermine the amount of resources and energy invested on an item, which can be used only once. Even if the material used in making biodegradable plates is from sustainable energy like baggase, the energy used in manufacturing, delivering to a store and then waste disposal should be taken in account. Due to this reason, some believe that re-useable plates are great alternative to biodegradable plates as they are cost effective and can be re-used.