Strengthening the wrists helps you make your hold strong. Most of the wrist-strengthening exercises are good enough to make your fingers, hands and forearms strong, along with the wrists. If you are a budding sportsperson or an athlete, it is must for you to undertake exercises that make your wrists strong. Wrist exercises also help improve your hand coordination and enhance blood flow to the hands. Other than the exercises given below, wrist curls and basic wrist movements also work to strengthen your grip. Follow the article to find some very useful wrist strengthening exercises.
Exercises For Building Wrist Strength
Door Opening Exercise
- Place your forearm at the table, with your palm down, in a resting position.
- Position your little finger on the table.
- Now, turn your hand, so as to make your palm face up. You can make use of your other hand to help the hand you are exercising.
- Grip your forearm even as your wrist and palm are left loose.
- Hold your hand in the same position for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly, come back to the original position and relax your hand.
- Repeat the exercise 4-5 times.
- Lift a lever with the weight resting on one hand.
- Don’t move the arm and lift the weight with the help of your wrist.
- Perform the exercise to your front.
- As you do the next step, the weight is to be lifted to the back, rather than the front.
- It is important to remember that you have to keep your arm stationery and load-free with your wrists, as you work.
- Repeat the exercise 8-10 times.
- You will need two small towels for this exercise.
- Place both the towels over a pull up bar, in such a way that the towels are spaced on a bar according to the shoulder-width.
- Equal lengths of towel should hang on both ends of the shoulder.
- Place your hands firmly on that part of the towel which is hanging over the pull-up bar. This is done to make your palms face each other. Also, your thumbs would point up, if you extend them and perform push ups.
- This will help you stretch not just your wrists, but your biceps as well.
Chinese Hand Ball Exercise
Chinese handballs, available in different sizes and made up of materials as diverse as steel, bronze, jade, glass and marble, can be used for strengthening exercises for wrists.
- You can do the exercise in any position you want, standing or sitting. Hold the balls in one of your hands.
- If you are a beginner, you may start with two balls. With practice, you can exercise with over 5 to 6 balls. .
- Employ your fingers to move the ball around your palm. First, move the balls one way and then, the other. While this may be difficult to achieve in the beginning, over time you will be able to do it deftly.
- Take care that the balls should not bang with each other. Slowly, you will feel your hands and fingers warming up.
- For a beginner, the exercise should last for a couple of minutes.