Are you facing severe health issues? If yes, then believe me, it's the time to check your weight!! Well, this might come as a surprise to you, but obesity is the root cause of many health problems in people today. While scrumptious burgers, flavorsome pizzas and appetizing cold drinks have become the order of the day (or I should say, order of every table!), these delicious dishes bring with them a horde of heath, economic and social problems. Obesity has been recognized as the major risk factor for severe health diseases, such as heart attack and diabetes. In case you still wondering why lose weight, we have listed certain disadvantages of excessive weight, which are sure to question your thinking.
Reasons To Lose Weight
- As per researchers, a large number of deaths take place every year, attributable solely to obesity. Obesity not only increases the body weight of a person, but also makes him/her more susceptible to diseases.
- If you didn't know, people in the age group of 30 to 64, with even moderately excessive weight, are at a high risk of falling prey to diseases.
- Research shows that the incidence of heart disease in obese people is higher as compared to people with the right weight.
- The problem of high blood pressure is more common in people who are obese or overweight, as compared to those who have a healthy weight.
- Excess body weight has a direct link with the formation of kidney stones. If a person is obese, he/she is at a higher risk of falling prey to the problem.
- Obesity is closely associated with elevated triglycerides or blood fat and decreased HDL cholesterol or "good" cholesterol. A bad sign, it eventually leads to numerous diseases and ailments.
- Did you know that almost 80 percent of people diagnosed with diabetes are obese? Those who have gained between 11 and 18 pounds of additional weight are twice at the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, as compared to those who have not gained weight.
- The chances of being affected with some type of cancer, like endometrial (cancer of the lining of the uterus), colon, gall bladder, prostate, kidney or postmenopausal breast cancer, are extremely high in overweight people.
- Sleep apnea is another problem, which is commonly found in people with excessive weight. It is essentially a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep.
- An obese person is likely to be at a higher risk of the problem of asthma. This is the only reason why asthmatic attacks more profusely hit people who are overweight.
- If you did not know, for every 2 pound increase in weight, the risk of developing arthritis increases by 9 to 13 percent. The symptoms of arthritis would only improve with loss of weight.
- Believe it or not, obese patients can add billions of dollars, in a single year, to a nation's medical bill.
- It has been proved that men and women who are obese make less money at work, than their counterparts.
- People who are overweight spend more on out-of-pocket medical costs than those who have a healthy weight.
- Apart from the above mentioned health and economic problems, excessive weight makes a person look unattractive and unappealing.
- Excessive weight demoralizes a person completely, leaving him/her bereft of self-confidence and self-esteem.
- An obese person is mocked at and looked upon as a fun element, by the society at large.