The Williams sisters set the tennis court on fire every time they return to the court with a rage. Except for their dressing, not much else can be found to be similar between them, especially not their body types. Both have a different physical built. While Venus is tall, lean and has a better figure, Serena seems to be fuller and more sinewy. This is a classic example of how body types can differ even among siblings. Body type of every human being is determined by genetics and their bone structure, to a certain extent. Accordingly, body is categorized mainly into three types: ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph. Every body type has its own advantages and disadvantages, for example, while ectomorphs have an intrinsically leaner body, muscle gain is difficult for them, whereas endomorphs gain weight pretty easily and have a tough time reducing it. It is hard to change these natural traits as they are genetic and precious little can be done to change the basic genetics of human beings. But with a proper diet and workout, you can at least decide on what your body can ultimately be able to evolve into.
Foods For Different Body Types
Adorning the covers of most fashion magazines, most of the models and movie stars are lucky enough to have been born with super skinny body types, and they will rarely gain any weight even if they eat in abundance. You can see an ectomorph looking the same even after years. Ectomorphs generally have a fragile body and will find it really difficult to gain weight or add muscle to their body. This gives them the ability to gorge on any food of their choice, with almost no effect on their body shape. But such body types can also be seen by many as rather shapeless - women with this body type may look boyish minus the curves, and men in this category tend to be wiry looking and have a tough time gaining muscles. It takes great effort for the ectomorphs to incorporate some muscle mass even after workouts, their active metabolism and genetics being the ones to blame for that. It is not that ectomorphs will never gain weight. As they age, their metabolism rate also slows down, as a result of which there are chances of them finally gaining weight when that happens. Given here is a list of food types that people should have, keeping their body types and fitness in mind.
The Ectomorph Diet:
An ectomorph’s diet should contain more of carbohydrates, proteins and less of fat.
- Eat a lot more calories than you burn.
- Take proteins in abundance — chicken, eggs, dairy products, pulses, soya, grains, tofu, seeds, dry nuts, etc., are highly recommended.
- Carbohydrates should also be taken in abundance, and the best are whole grains, granolas, pastas, muffins, rice, wheat, potatoes, yam, lentils, etc.
- Include trans-fat foods such as candy bars and margarine to your diet.
- Drink lots and lots of water to keep you well hydrated.
- Avoid fats of most kinds.
- Junk or unhealthy foods are a strict no-no.
- Stay away from fried food.
Known for their rounder figures, endomorphs are those who gain weight rather fast. They generally tend to have a fat body type, and tend to gain weight even if they drink only a bottle of water. Endomorphs have a wider physical frame usually called the pear shape. If well-maintained, they need not be a matter of embarrassment, and can even appear voluptuous. Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez — both known for their flattering curves — fall under this category. Endomorphs generally have a slow and sluggish metabolism which can be good for those gaining weight and muscles, but very hard on those trying to lose excess flab which will also pile on just as soon if not consistently kept off.
The Endomorph Diet
Endomorphs are carbohydrate sensitive and will benefit more from low-carb diets.
- Take a lot of fiber — the best source of fiber being raw vegetables, fruits, green leafy vegetables, cereals, oats, and so on.
- Drink lots of water.
- Eat smaller meals in between instead of the regular heavy three or four meals.
- Eat more of raw food.
- Stay away from carbohydrates.
- Sugar and starch are a strict no-no.
- Fat consumption should be controlled to a great extent.
Most genetically gifted of the three types, they usually come under the medium-built. They have a naturally leaner figure, and with their shoulders larger than their hips, mesomorph men tend to generally look athletic and mesomorph women flaunt hourglass figures. The advantage mesomorphs have over the other two is that they can gain weight and muscles with the same ease with which they can lose them. By eating right, mesomorphs can help their body stay in the right shape.
The Mesomorph Diet
Such body types should eat quite a variety of food.
- Protein should figure prominently on their diet chart. It can include chicken, turkey, eggs, salmon, tofu, soya, etc.
- Take into consideration the calorie intake especially while you are working out. Eat enough of calories as you work out.
- Oils such as olive oil and flax seed oil are both good.
- Eat slow absorbing carbohydrates like yam, vegetables and brown rice.
- Eat balanced meals.
- Do not over-indulge in sugary food.