One of the worst pains that a person can experience is a toothache. It is referred to any soreness, discomfort or pain within or around a tooth, with symptoms like irritation, swelling, reddening, etc. One of the major reasons of toothache comprises of an infection, with some chances of abscess. The best way to escape from toothache is to avoid any infection altogether. For that, you need to take proper care of your teeth and maintain excellent oral hygiene. However, even after taking the precautions, you might suffer from toothache. So, it is better to be equipped with some natural home remedies at all times. They help you provide immediate comfort from pain and suppress it till the time you are able to visit a dentist.
Home Remedies for Toothache Relief
- Clove oil is one of the best home remedies for relief from toothache. Apply it on the sore tooth, with the help of cotton. In case clove oil is not available, squeeze a clove around the tooth instead.
- Get real vanilla extract and, with the help of a cotton ball, apply it on the affected area. It has numbing properties and will alleviate the pain to quite an extent.
- If the pain is the result of abscess at gums, try using oats at the area. They will help draw out the puss and diminish the pain.
- Peel a cucumber and cut it into thick slices. Put the pieces into the mouth and hold it on the sore tooth. Gradually, you will feel your pain ebbing away. If possible, chill the cucumber in the freezer before using it.
- Peel some cloves of garlic and mince them into a paste. Add some rock salt to it and apply on the affected area.
- Take ½ tsp of asafetida and mix it with bit of lemon juice and lukewarm water, in order to make a paste. Apply the paste on the affected area, with the help of cotton.
- Take a small stack of dried peppermint and put it inside the mouth, around the sore tooth. Keep it there for 15-20 minutes and then, spit it out. It will help brings the abscess to the upper surface and ease the pain.
- Take one cup of water and add fresh peppermint (around 5 gm) to it. Boil and add ½ tbsp salt. Let the water cool down to lukewarm and then drink it. This will help in curbing the pain.
- Use an icepack on the affected area, by holding it there and trying to compress it. Ice has numbing properties and will help in repressing pain at nerve endings.
- You can also try applying oregano oil over the sore area. It helps in easing the pain.