Looking for ways to beat the heat this summer? Summer season is usually the most dreaded time of the year. Rising mercury levels, intensifying humidity and ever-increasing scorching heat make living almost impossible. Add to the already burning environ, some hot and spicy delicacies. Sound even more dreadful! Are you now looking for ways to get a respite from the soaring temperatures? Changing the type of food intake can go a long way in making a difference and bring in some coolness. This summers, indulge in summer salads and you would surely be beating the heat in the right manner. Salads are not only cool and light, but are high on nutritious count as well. Given in the following lines are easy to make summer salad recipes - the yummy quotient of living healthy life !
Easy Summer Salad Recipes
Grilled Tomato, Onion, and Bread Salad
- 2 Red Onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 8 Tomatoes, cored
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- 4 cups Bread Cubes
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Cucumber, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, shredded
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- The first step would be to pre-heat the outdoor grill, at medium to high heat.
- Take the halved cucumber piece and de-seeded it. Cut to make 1/2 inch slices. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, apply 2 tbsp of olive oil over the onion slices and tomatoes.
- Take a large bowl and pour another 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the cubed bread. Sprinkle thyme, salt and pepper over the cubed bread pieces and toss it well. Now, using metal skewers spear the bread cubes.
- Place the bowl containing bread over the pre heated grill and allow it to bake until it turns golden yellow.
- Once the bread is baked, grill onions and tomato for a few minutes until they turn soft. Once grilled, chop them into large pieces
- In the bread bowl, add the chopped onions and tomatoes. Add cucumber and basil leaves as well. Whisk the mixture well.
- Now, pour the red wine vinegar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to make a dressing.
- The appetizing grilled tomato, onion and bread salad is ready to be served!
Green Mango Salad
- 1/3 cup Cashews or Peanuts, chopped
- 2 Mangoes, unripe
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander & Mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 4 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 4 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 tsp Chili Sauce or Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 sweet Red Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Red Onion, thinly sliced
- The first step would be to toast the chopped cashew/peanuts in a skillet until they turn golden. Once done, keep them aside.
- Next, the pointy edges of the mangoes need to be cut. Peel off the skin and cut the flesh to make thin fine strips.
- Take a bowl and whisk coriander, mint, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, oil and chili sauce in it. Add mangoes, red pepper and onion to the mixture.
- Toss it up and refrigerate.
- At the time of serving, sprinkle chopped golden cashews/peanuts. The yummy green mango salad is ready to beat the heat!