Strep throat can be described as the inflammation of the throat, tonsils and lymph nodes. The reason for the inflammation is the infection caused by group-A streptococcus bacteria. Strep throat is a very common problem, especially in the flu seasons. The usual symptoms that precede a strep throat are runny nose, sneezing and coughing. Within 3-5 days of the occurrence of such symptoms, you will start noticing other major signs, like throat inflammation and swelling, difficulty in swallowing and breathing, mucus-producing cough, fatigue, body weakness, headache, nausea, poor appetite, enlargement of the lymph nodes and tonsils, excessive sweating and fever.
Home Remedies for Strep Throat
It is not necessary to pop in pills when you have strep throat, especially if the symptoms are still mild. Rather, you can make use some natural treatments. In case you want to know how to get rid of strep throat naturally, read on.
- Drink chamomile tea. It has analgesic properties that can provide you quick relief from throat pain and headaches.
- Take sage, either in the form of tincture or in the form of capsules. It can reduce inflammation and protect the soft tissues of the throat as well as the respiratory system.
- Garlic has been associated with providing relief from strep throat, mainly because of its anti-bacterial properties.
- Gargle with warm, salt water every few hours. It can help can fight bacteria and reduce throat inflammation and pain.
- Maintain a warm temperature in your bedroom. At the same time, use mist humidifiers for keeping air humidity at higher levels.
- Keep away from substances with a strong and persistent odor. They will only lead to an increase in the inflammation.
- Avoid drinking very cold or very hot beverages. They can result in throat irritation and pain, leading to slowing down of the healing process.
- Eat only soft foods, such as soups, yogurts, mashed potatoes and non-irritant fruits. Strictly avoid spicy foods.
- Gargle with pomegranate juice, every few hours. It will help in getting rid of the infection.
- Season your food with ginger, black pepper, garlic and salt. All the ingredients help heal strep throat.
- Take a glass of water and add 1 tsp powdered cinnamon and a pinch of pepper. Boil the water and add 2 tsp honey. Drink.
- Boil tulsi leaves in water and use it for drinking purposes. You can also gargle with this decoction.
- Put 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds in 1 liter water and boil it, till the water gets reduced to half. Use the decoction for gargling.
- Boil a whole onion in some water. Crush it and add pepper, salt and a bit of butter. Consume once a day.
- Drinking warm tea, added with honey, has been found to provide great relief in case of a strep throat.