Tea is a refreshing drink that provides an ideal start to a day. For most of the people, a cup of tea in the morning is an inseparable part of the daily routine. While some prefer it plain, with tea leaves, sugar (optional) and milk (optional), others like it spicy, with ginger and cardamom. India is known to prepare one of the finest spice tea recipes in the world. The ginger present in the tea gives a subtle flavor to it, apart from adding medicinal properties, while the cardamom enriches the brew with its pleasant aroma. Making spice tea is not too difficult, provided you know the right recipe. Read on to know about the procedure of making Indian spice tea, through the couple of recipes given below.
How To Make Spiced Tea
Spice Tea With Sugar
- 2 Cardamom pods
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tsp Black Tea Leaves
- Milk, to taste
- Granulated Sugar, to sweeten
- The first step of making spice tea comprises of boiling 2 cups of water.
- While the water is getting hot, you can crush the ginger and cardamom pods (to expose seeds).
- When the water starts boiling, add the above crushed mixture to it.
- Reduce the flame to low and allow the water to boil for a couple of minutes. This will help extract all the flavors of ginger and cardamom mixture and spread them thoroughly in water.
- Now, add 2 tbsp black tea leaves to the water, take the flame to full and bring the water to a boil.
- After this, add milk to the boiling water.
- Once the milk, along with other contents, reaches the boiling stage, remove from heat.
- Strain the tea into a cup, add the desired amount of sugar and serve hot.
Spice Tea With Honey
- 1 tsp Tea Leaves
- ¼ tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Clove
- 2 green Cardamom Pods
- A pinch Cinnamon
- A pinch Black Pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- ¾ cup Water
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- Pour water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium flame. You may close the sauce pan with its lid, to boil the water faster.
- Once the water starts boiling, add tea leaves, cardamom pods, clove, ground ginger, cinnamon, black pepper and vanilla extract (if you want its flavor). Stir well.
- Add honey and milk to the decoction and bring it to a boil once again, for about 1½ minutes.
- As the tea brews, it would start giving a pleasant aroma, due to the rich mixture of spices present in it.
- Using a strainer, filter the brew into your tea cup and enjoy it hot!
- Brew the tea well, so that all the spices combine and produce a pleasant aroma.
- Cinnamon and cloves can be avoided from the spiced tea, because many people do not like their strong aroma and peculiar taste.