Fountains, ponds, and waterfalls add to the beauty and elegance of a garden. They are not only a joy to watch but also bring us a little bit closer to nature. However, to form a natural Garden of Eden requires some mechanisms that must be adopted to keep the water flowing and clear. In a garden, the flow of the water must be created that gives a natural feel. For this, a pump is required that can circulate the water giving it the cascade of a waterfall and swirl of a pond. However, to maintain these things of beauty requires considerable expense, the major part being the pump that has a central role to play. Conventional AC pumps that are more widely used are power guzzlers and harm the environment in the long run. On the other hand, solar powered pumps are a blessing in disguise. Instead of electricity they use solar energy and hence are eco-friendly and lighter on pocket too.
Solar Powered Water Pumps
- Solar powered water pumps are the best way to save energy and expense.
- Since normal water pumps for the ponds and waterfall use a lot of power, it is a very good option.
- If you have already got a pump that runs on power then it can be conveniently fitted with a solar kit to convert it. You should get a suitable solar kit as the pumps vary in power and capacity.
- Since pond and waterfall pumps need to run constantly they have a very short life that is they break down quickly. If not replaced, quickly the pond or the waterfall will be in trouble.
- The solar powered pond pumps must be checked regularly to see if the panels are free and clean of debris. They should be kept in such a way that they receive sunlight for as long as possible.
- It is better to reposition them frequently to get the maximum power to the battery chargers. Another good way is to keep the panels in a shed roof a little away from the site and fix cables to the pump power base.
- Solar powered water pumps do not require an inverter as they run on DC. Since the solar panel, which runs the pump generates DC energy; the pump can be run directly from the panel, which eliminates the need of the inverter.
- Solar powered pumps come with a battery pack attached so that they can be charged during the day and used at night. This makes it possible to run constantly which is the main requirement for pond and waterfall pumps. However, these batteries are quite expensive and so proper care must be taken in its use and maintenance, for them to last longer.
- When you go for a solar powered water pump, it is better to buy one that has a corrosion resistant panel. Go for the batteries that give optimum power that is a full day’s charging should give about four hours of backup at night.
- To get the full value from your product, read the manufacturers manual carefully. This is better than replacing it after a year or two.
Solar Powered Water Fountain
Since the pump must be run constantly, a battery is required, to run it at night. Most solar pumps do not come with one so they must be purchased separately. Otherwise, it can only be run during the day when the sun is shining.
The solar panel captures the energy from the sun. So they must always be positioned where they get the maximum sunlight throughout the day.
Depending on the strength of the sun’s rays, there will be fluctuations in the power generation. So, the water movement will vary in intensity throughout the day.
The waterfall should be placed anywhere as long as the panels receive the sunlight. However, nowadays, the panels come separate and so it can be placed on the roof where it receives the sunlight, with wires connecting it to the pump.
- Solar powered pumps require very little maintenance.
- It is eco-friendly and energy efficient.
- Does not require fuel.
- You can leave it unattended for long periods of time.
- Lasts twice as long as an AC pump.