Social networking sites provoke extreme reactions. You either like it or hate it. There are no in betweens. The rise of social networking sites have been phenomenal partly due to the immense freedom it affords. While the internet made the world a global village, the social networking sites brought the world within the four walls. You can make friends, interact with them, get to know the various cultures and places through them and more while sitting at the same desk. These sites facilitates you to spread information and also to advertise and with the minimum cost. Due to such sites, you won’t find yourself lost among the billions of websites. No wonder it is one of the fastest growing communication tool in the internet. From finding long lost friends to meeting likeminded people, these sites offer everything to facilitate your online life. However, under the mountain of advantages there are also a lot of disadvantages. Knowing them will hold you in good stead as you cannot know when this accessible-by-all tool becomes your worst nightmare. To know more read the article below on the pros and cons of social networking sites.
Advantages & Disadvantages Of Social Networking Sites
The Pros Of Social Networking Sites
- The best advantage of social networking sites is that these sites allow you to keep in touch with your friends, classmates, and relatives. It is also the most cost effective way to keep in touch with your people. Here geographical locations are no barrier to stay in touch.
- These sites allow you to send and receive messages, upload photos, and videos. As such, they are very interactive as you can get to see what your friends and relatives are up to.
- With social networking sites, you are not bound by any geographical and cultural differences. You get to meet and know a variety of people whose interests are similar to your own. These sites are a window to different cultures and places.
- You can build a network of contacts and interact with a lot of people at the same time. As such, you can spread your thoughts and interests to a large number of people.
- The social networking sites also facilitate you to procure information on any subjects from anywhere. These sites also make it easier and faster to collect the information.
- Social networking sites can also be a tool to promote your business, services, products, or websites. Due to the huge number of people who regularly use networking sites it has found huge favors among advertisers.
The Cons Of Social Networking Sites
- The most glaring disadvantage of social networking sites is the risk of identity theft and fraud. The personal information of users can be used by dubious people for illegal activities. Information like the e-mail address, name, location, and age can be used to commit online crimes.
- Also, many people pretend to be someone else and prepare their online profiles with false information, so as to dupe unsuspecting users. So, if you do not know the person face to face then it will be very hard for you to find the real identity.
- Another cause of concern is cases of online harassment and stalking. Since the social networking sites, are very poorly regulated so it can be a very fertile ground for people trying to get even with you. They can spread malicious humor among your friends and also download and morph your photos.