In the modern world, abortions have become a norm of life. It is considered to be one of the easiest and convenient ways of getting rid of unwanted and accidental pregnancies. Though women have been endowed with the gift of bearing a life form, an abortion gives them the option whether they want to avail the present or not. However, an abortion should not be misunderstood for a convenience, as it does have its own advantages and disadvantages. As these might be subjective, any woman should consider the following pros and cons before deciding the fate of the unborn child.
Pros of Abortion
- Many a times, abortion helps to safeguard women's health. There are many women, who suffer from various hazardous medical conditions such as heart disease, kidney disease, severe hypertension, sickle-cell anemia, severe diabetes, etc. As these diseases can be life-threatening, an abortion often helps to avoid serious medical complications from childbirth. But abortion should be carried out after proper medical advice as it can lead to potential miscarriages in the future.
- In male chauvinistic societies, women are considered nothing more than child bearing machines. Therefore, a right to abortion gives her an individual identity, as per which she can decide the fate of her child.
- At times, abortion also helps in keeping a check on the size of the family. It can serve as a potent tool to undo mistakes, thereby preventing mothers to be forced for raising a child at a young age.
- The convenience of abortion provides the parents with an option of having a wanted child. In its absence, any unwanted pregnancy would lead to the birth of many children, who weren't wanted. This could immensely hamper the social strata of the society, having negative implications especially on child's psyche.
- Moreover, in cases where women are raped, getting pregnant with such a child is yet another brutality they would be forced to bear. Thus, the option of abortion is the best for them.
Cons of Abortion
- An abortion can be considered a brutality as it does not give the child in the womb, a chance at life. In effect, it is highly condemned by a lot of religions as well.
- Abortion is often used as a type of birth control by many women. This in a way promotes infidelity, wherein women can easily have many sexual relationships, which would eventually end up in abortions.
- An abortion always lessens the chances of having children later in life. Though it is not a mandatory phenomenon, it can definitely happen, leaving the woman childless forever.
- Abortion also promotes an irresponsible behavior amongst people, as they do not want to take responsibility of their own actions. It gives them the freedom of committing careless activities and then getting rid of them easily.
- Abortion can lead to many medical complications such as infection, sepsis, recurrent miscarriages, etc.
- Abortion can also cause psychological impairments amongst women such as depression and guilt.