Phosphorus is the mineral found in second-largest concentration in the human body. Explore the list of phosphorus-rich foods i.e. foods high in phosphorus.

Phosphorus Rich Foods

Phosphorus is the second most-abundant mineral found in the human body, next only to calcium. Together, both these nutrients are responsible for building as well as maintaining strong bones and teeth. Majority of the phosphorus in the body, around 85 percent, is found in bones and teeth. The rest, say 15 percent, manifests itself in the bloodstream, cells and tissues throughout the body. Phosphorous is much better absorbed in the small intestine than most of the other minerals.
Deficiency of phosphorus in the body can lead to conditions like bone problems, skin sensitivity, irregular breathing, numbness, tremors, restricted growth, tooth decay, rickets, fatigue, anxiety and stress. It can turn toxic only if it is taken in high doses. However, kidneys always work towards maintaining a proper balance of phosphorous in the body and excrete the unwanted amount from the body. Phosphorous has diverse health benefits as well. Let us explore a list of foods that are high in phosphorus. These foods must be included in everyday diet, to enable the body to have the required quantity of phosphorous.
List Of Foods High In Phosphorus
  • All-bran Cereal
  • Almonds
  • Beef
  • Brazil Nuts
  • Cashew Nuts
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Dried Fruit
  • Egg
  • Garlic
  • Halibut Fish
  • Hard Potatoes
  • Herring
  • Kidneys
  • Legumes
  • Lentils
  • Liver
  • Meat
  • Milk
  • Peanuts
  • Poultry
  • Roe
  • Salmon
  • Sesame Seeds
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Turkey
  • Wheat Bran
  • Wheat Germ
  • Whole Wheat Bread
  • Yogurt 
Benefits Of Phosphorous 
  • As said above, phosphorous plays a key role in the development of bone and teeth. Studies have shown that body requires phosphorous, along with calcium, for bone and teeth development. As such, it also helps in fighting against osteoporosis, a condition in which the body faces loss of bones.
  • This mineral facilitates the proper digestion of niacin and riboflavin.
  • It helps in the efficient transmission of nerves impulses. Phosphorous has another advantage, of helping kidneys excrete wastes effectively.
  • Phosphorous is also a source of phosphate, which plays an important role in producing and managing energy for the body.
  • It is a key factor in maintaining the body’s electrolyte and fluid balance.
  • The mineral helps filter out waste in the kidneys. It is known to metabolize other vitamins and minerals.
  • Phosphorous stimulates the production hormone in the body. It is also known to assist the body in utilizing B vitamins.
  • The mineral has a great role to play in the replication of DNA and RNA.
  • Phosphorous is needed for the growth, maintenance and repair of all tissues and cells in the body.
  • It participates in a number of chemical reactions, which occur inside the body.
  • Maintaining proper level of phosphorous is required for better brain functioning. It is also known to keep the mind alert and active.

How to Cite

Related Articles

More from