Celery is a very popular vegetable, used for a wide variety of purposes. Its prime use is in salads and soups, wherein the stalks or leaves of the vegetable are chopped and added. Whether it is dried or fresh, the aroma and flavor of celery leaves makes the food even more enticing. Apart from its culinary use, celery finds use in treating a number of ailments, such as joints pain, insomnia and arthritis. Its seeds are also used for various treatments, while its essential oil finds use in producing different fragrances. Through this article, you will learn how to make the best use of celery.
Different Uses Of Celery
- Ground celery is used as one of the garnishes for 'Bloody Mary', a cocktail drink made from vodka, tomato juice, various types of sauces and spices.
- Celery salt (salt flavored with essential oil of celery) can be used to increase the savory taste of spicy dishes.
- If you do not want to use celery in whole, you may use its seeds for flavoring the dishes.
- Celery is highly recommended for beef dishes, because it increases the taste of the meat. You may sprinkle a quarter teaspoon of celery for a pound of beef meat.
- The leaves of celery are used in a number of salads and soups. You may also dry the leaves and use them in casserole dishes.
- You may eat the raw stalks of celery. To increase the taste, sprinkle a pinch of salt on the stalks and then eat.
- If you have leftover celery leaves, do not throw them. Instead, dry and grind them. Add salt to the dried celery leaves and use the mixture in condiments.
- Celery stack, on which a generous dose of peanut butter has been spread, serves as a good tea time snack.
- In case you are an insomniac, sip a cup of celery seed tea before going to bed. You will feel relaxed and fall asleep within no time!
- The essential oil of celery is used to make various types of perfumes as well as lotions.
- Apart from its medicinal and culinary uses, celery can be used to make simple crafts for children. Spread peanut butter on a long celery stalk. Secure a small sized rubber toy onto the stalk. Add wheels (taken from a toy truck, bus or other heavy transport vehicle) to the edges of the celery stalk. Your celery car is ready!